What am i doing wrong?

What am i doing wrong?

This is a discussion on What am i doing wrong? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Im working on my first batch of reloading, im currently stuck on the primers. half of these damn things do not want to seat right! ...

What am i doing wrong?

Im working on my first batch of reloading, im currently stuck on the primers. half of these damn things do not want to seat right! Ive cleaned the primer pockets and made sure they were good to go before i attempted this. Ive tried both my RCBS primer and the redding primder that comes on the press. Both of them have given the same type of results. Im using PMC brass and CCI small rifle primers. Here are a few pics of the ones that are loading shitty, damn near half of them that ive attempted.

Help in this area would be MUCH appreciated, thanks.
    Chris

Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

several things come to mind, one is that ths brass has a crimped primer and needs to be swaged or reamed. another is are you sure you have the small primer seater in place and not the large primer one? another possibility is that you are doing it to fast and not making sure the case is properly seated in the shellholder. speed isnt necessarily the answer in priming. just my thoughts.

I never use S&B cases, because primer pockets are too low.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I tend to agree with Marvin-lr30, I bet you have some sort of brass problem. Your tools are not the issue (since you have tried two different methods, the odds of both tools being screwy are infinitesimal), and although technique could be an issue, it is not likely. You have to be dumber than a box of hammer handles to not use a hand priming tool properly. Of course you are not, right. :wink: Check that you are using the correct attachments, as Marvin suggested.

If you are, set this batch of brass aside, go to your local hunt shop and grab a bag of Remmy, federal or Winchester brass. Try those. If they work, and they likely will, then you have a brass issue with your current brass.

If you want to use your current brass, get a primer pocket swaging tool or reamer, and a primer pocket uniformer and work on your brass. You can knock those primers out, but you have to deactivate them first. Using the tube attachment on the nozzle, spray a little WD-40 in the bottom of each case and let that sit overnight, You will then be able to safely punch them out (but you do wear eye protection while reloading, right?).

Uniformer tool

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=764406

pocket reamer (come in large/small)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=617234

If you are going to process lots of surplus military brass, splurge on the Dillon Super Swage 600, but you don't need it for this one batch. Make the decision once you decide how much reloading you want to do.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/ ... _600_parts

Yup.

PMC is good brass, but it does have a crimp. They put a crimp on the primer pocket to keep the primers from backing out of the case and jamming up sloppy headspaced weapons like SAWs, etc.

It's nice brass. Just needs to be processed.

I second the Dillon tool, its a great way to get the job done, and like JC said if someone wants to buy a lot of mil spec cases, like Lake City, PMC, etc its great to have around.

I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Hidden Content

Well i was doing everything right. but i didnt know PMC brass did a crimp on the primers so thats the problem right there. thanks for the help gents and now its time for me to get to correct tools to fix this problem.
    Chris

Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

Welcome! Happy we could help ya.

I don't know about PMC, but I like .mil brass because its tougher.

It's tougher because it's thicker. So when you reuse it, there is more brass to offer that gets removed from trimming after expansion, etc compared to factory civvy brass.

Since its the same size externally though, its thicker on the inside, which means capacity is a bit smaller, which means pressures rise if you use the same amount of powder you would in a civy load. Its advisable to back off a little.

I don't know if PMC is the same, but I would assume. If you had a chrono it would really help.

But someone here probably knows.

I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Hidden Content

Ads