First time reloader question

This is a discussion on First time reloader question within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Second time poster, been a reader for a while. Thanks in advance or your responses. I'm definitely looking at getting into reloading, but would like ...

Second time poster, been a reader for a while. Thanks in advance or your responses.

I'm definitely looking at getting into reloading, but would like some opinions before I go and drop cash on some expensive kit.

I have 2 goals which seem opposed to one another which is causing some confusion for me.

I want to reload "junk" range rounds for my 2 handguns, 9mm and 38 SP (mostly 9mm), by the bazillions which screams to me a Progressive press is in order. I'm, also looking to load a bunch of .223 for range fun with the AR 15. Having the ability to pump out a few hundred rounds an hour with a progressive sounds like the right fit.

That said, I'd also like to load match grade rounds for my new Remington 700 P LTR in .308, as well as some match grade rounds for my AR 15 (I.e., not range junk), and that, from what I've read, means a Single Stage like the Rock Chucker or equivalent is in order.

I've been looking at the Rock Chucker kits
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=646599 and
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

But since that is a single stage only press, reloading said bazillions of handgun rounds seems like a daunting task (unless I also buy the conversion kit). I've also been looking at the RCBS Turret Press Kit which theoretically functions as both a single stage, for the rifle rounds, as well as a progressive press for the pistol rounds. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding exactly how this press functions, especially in progressive mode, but it does seem like a good compromise unless I'm completely mistaken as to how this press works.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=256779

Another option is to simply get a progressive press like the RCBS Pro2000 kit and do my best with the rifle rounds (though my understanding is that progressive presses can be used as a single stage as well)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=147803

What I'm trying to avoid is buying a press, then saying a month later "I wish I had bought that other press."

What say you?

#2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

Quote Originally Posted by becks
    Thanks!

I read that thread, multiple times in fact, and it did help some. I guess I'd like a little more info on the presses I'm looking at (basically the entire line of RCBS from the RC to the Turret Press to the Pro2000) to see what the capabilities are for those presses, particularly whether the progressive part of the Turret is for real, or a gimmick and whether one can use the Pro2000 as a single stage press (one would think, but I have no idea).

Another question I have is whether the conversion kit for the Rock Chucker is a permanent deal (as in it would be tough to change it out once it's on), or whether it is easily switchable from single stage to progressive and back with little fuss.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have a rockchucker now for 308 and 223. I will continue to use it for those rounds. But when I decide to do 9mm I will by a progressive. I like the dillon 550 for that. I use a digital scale and found that my powder thrower can be out as much as 1/2 grain. No good for precision rounds but ok for handgun. You could still use a progressive and only use it as a single stage if you had to.

Quote Originally Posted by wild1
    I have a rockchucker now for 308 and 223. I will continue to use it for those rounds. But when I decide to do 9mm I will by a progressive. I like the dillon 550 for that. I use a digital scale and found that my powder thrower can be out as much as 1/2 grain. No good for precision rounds but ok for handgun. You could still use a progressive and only use it as a single stage if you had to.
    Thanks for the info.

After having looked at the various kits, the "get my foot in the door" price is steep for progressive kits. I'm likely going to get the Cabela's Rock Chucker kit (the one for $699 with the Chargemaster Dispenser Combo which has excellent reviews everywhere) so that I can leave room for dies and plates, then get the progressive conversion kit for the RC at a later time for doing my 9mm loads in bulk. As it is, if I am reading correctly, one can do +/- 1 round a minute with single stage. I'm going through about 100-200 rounds a week with the 9mm which is about 3 or so hours of work which isn't bad at all until I get myself in the pistol pits of my gun club where I may go through double or triple that.

Time to build up the armory.

Ads