Progressive press accuraccy & 30-338

This is a discussion on Progressive press accuraccy & 30-338 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys, just a couple of quick questions, first, does anyone here use progressive presses for match grade ammo, are they less accurate than a ...

Hi guys, just a couple of quick questions, first, does anyone here use progressive presses for match grade ammo, are they less accurate than a single stage? From what I can tell, the weak link is probably the powder thrower in terms of making consistant ammo. I'm not sure I would splash the cash on one as I don't shoot high volume, but it does take me ages to load ammo!

Second, does anyone own or have experience with the 30-338, it seems like a sensible long range cartridge. Widely available .30 cal bullets, fairly common brass to neck down, slightly less powerful than the 30 win mag but I guess that means less recoil (my sierra loading manual also says it's generally more accurate than the .300 win mag).

Just curious.

Dazzle me with your knowledge!

Cheers, SamM
    "Experience is something you never have until just after you need it."

Army - Be The Best.

Re: Progressive press accuraccy & 30-338

Quote Originally Posted by SamM
    first, does anyone here use progressive presses for match grade ammo, are they less accurate than a single stage?
    One can make match grade ammo on any kind of (quality) press.

From what I can tell, the weak link is probably the powder thrower in terms of making consistant ammo.
    If you have a load recipie that is at an "Optimal Charge Weight" (OCW) you are quite immune to charge weight varriations.

I'm not sure I would splash the cash on one as I don't shoot high volume, but it does take me ages to load ammo!
    Of the time I spend match grade reloading, only about 20% is spent pressing the level on the press. There are a lot of operations on the brass that take a lot of time. Having a faster press would only increase my throughput by some 10% or so.

Of the time I spend match grade reloading, only about 20% is spent pressing the level on the press. There are a lot of operations on the brass that take a lot of time. Having a faster press would only increase my throughput by some 10% or so.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for the info!

SamM
    "Experience is something you never have until just after you need it."

Army - Be The Best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SamM
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for the info!

SamM
    Have to agree. That's why I chuckle when guys talk about all the time the save not having to screw and unscrew dies in and therefore use a turret press.

Now if I was just loading up a 1000rds of .38 plinking ammo, that would be a different story.

If I wanted fast ammo, I'd go to the store. :lol: :lol:

Re: Progressive press accuraccy & 30-338

I own a 30-338 made by B.S.A guns. And i love it! I own many guns and for a long time my favorite long range weapons were my .300 mag, 7mm mag, and of course my .308 mag. I was by pure accident that i came across my 30-338, i was at my favorite gun shop talking to the old gun nuts...lol, when Mr. holmes, who is like my grandfather, took me aside and told me he had a gun he wanted me to have, because out of 4 kids, only one was a boy and we was gay and a member of PEDA. Poor man! I couldnt just let him give me a gun like that, so I gave him 500.00. I had never heard of a 30-338, but i expected great things.
    My first shot was from 500 yds. It was amazing, the bullet drop comp. was dead on, and it didnt take much of a adj. At 500yds i shot 2 groups of 3 with about a 1.25" spread with a pretty steady cross wind. I was in love!!
    My first 1,000 yd shot was at my lease in central TX. Its hilly and the wind was calm. Again the drop comp. was dead on and handled the distance with ease. All in all by far my favorite gun.

Ads