Uneven expansion of fired cases

This is a discussion on Uneven expansion of fired cases within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; this might be nothing other than my noobishness but... I've noticed that when I'm trimming the fired cases (Norma 7.5X55 with 50gr H4831 168grSierreMK) not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

this might be nothing other than my noobishness but...

I've noticed that when I'm trimming the fired cases (Norma 7.5X55 with 50gr H4831 168grSierreMK) not all the cases either need the same amount trimmed or any at all. Is this normal? Could my charges be uneven and hence some expand more than others?

I'm using a Lee case trimmer and am careful to make sure the case is locked in tight to the shellholder.

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

Don`t worry. There`s nothing wrong.

Fluffy
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Administrator
    Pretty normal, it's even worse in autoloaders.

Nothing to worry about. I have found that my .220Swift reformed 6.5x51SR "Arisaka" cases exhibit this phenomenon to a MUCH lesser degree. I attribute this to the case neck annealing I do after every firing.

Keepin mind also, that your sizing operation has an appreciable effect on this dimension as well. Try this: size, trim, size again, and try to trim the case: I bet you'll find the cutter will remove about a thou' again...:wink:

Back to brass smashin'..
    -Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks chaps.

Nat, how do you do the annealing ? I read a review of the brass I'm using where the reviewer said annealing the brass every 3 discharges makes it last for 12 discharges. I don't have a special oven to do this. Any alternatives?

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

Annealin the cases are pretty simple once you kill afew cases learning how.. When i started doing it i picked up abunch of cases from therange to practice on.

In about aweek i'm going to post a pretty lengthy video on youtube about this same thing.

I started doing this to all my bench brass and alot of my brass for all my rifles.

I am getting about 20-25 loadings out of my300win brass befor i see any sings of problems.

Tom

Administrator
    Pen, I gotta go, but I'll write some on this tonight.

DO NOT anneal without understanding how/why....and NO ovens!

...2nd Best way to kill yourself with a rifle.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

6mmbr has a good article on it:

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

I will probably be annealing for my 338 brass. Interested to hear how you guys are doing it.
    Walther P99 9mm/AAC Evo
    Noveske Afghan AR15/WOTAC 4-14/Ops Inc 12th
    Desert Tactical SRS 338/TBD/Tac Ops 338
    Tac Ops Tango/Hensoldt 4-16/Tac Ops 30

great article SG, thanks.

Big_boy & Nat, your public eagerly awaits...

Cheers

lee trimming equip is sloppy, i couldnt evenly cut cases with it.
    What was that ?

Pen

When you have afew just pm with your email and i will email you alot of info on annealing. Like said very easy way of killing yourself thats why you want to pick up some range brass to practce on first.

the youtube video is on the back burner tell i get fully healed i picked up an internal infection from surgery. Sorta limited on what i can do.

Just ask and i will help.

Items to look for befor you anneal.
    A drill mounted case holder from Sinclair,midway,brownells. I will get a pic and part number tonight.

A cordless drill work pretty well or a corded, A good propane torch head you can adjust the flame on.

THen most importan a place todo it away from any powder or spray cans.

I take the drill and i build a wooden holder and i use plumbers banding to hold inplace with. Then take a zip tie to hold the trigger of he drill down i run my drill wide open i use a paint pen that is heat sensitve and mark my case with it. when they heat to what ever temp i choice he marker for i changes colors. i get those from sinclair or a welding supplie store. afteryou do a few thousand rounds you can watch the color of the brass change. After i see it change i will drop them in a pan of water to cool them. I had a old benchrest guy tell me that, you wount get alot of heat at the head. I have a few pics of the brass from start to finish not sure were all the pics went but this is a start.

First is the basic tools i use

Peice of brass in the holder

Not sure were the pics are showing the brass in the heat. But i only old the case in the heat about 3/8 in so when the case starts heating an moving in to th body area i can watch my heat lines.

Here you can see left to right. Left is to much heat-case is junk. second to left case-to deep in the flame no real color change on mouth case ok. Third from left. Perfect case- this is how the cases should look. fourth right case you can see the heat has been on thecase but no real annealing has taken place. This case i would redo to proper annealing. Far right is a case just fired no annealing at all.

Here are some cases done afew months ago for my wifes 300win she doesn't shoot.

I will look for the rest of the pics during the heating stage and cooling stage. but thats just have a bowl full of tap water so they cool faster.

Hope that helps and any questions just ask away i'm more thanwilling to help out.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads