300 win mag sub sonic

300 win mag sub sonic

This is a discussion on 300 win mag sub sonic within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi, Can anyone tell me if it's possible to load sub sonic rounds for a 300 win mag? Thx...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 300 win mag sub sonic

300 win mag sub sonic

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to load sub sonic rounds for a 300 win mag?
    Thx

Banned
    There is NO reason to load subsonic rounds in ANY platform.. Why you would want to do so baffles me. The sound difference is indiscernible at any reasonable distance. However, the energy lost and trajectory are SEVERELY diminished.
    Goofy2404 likes this.

Banned
    Honestly, the sound difference is negligible and most of the guys who load subsonic rounds do so because they don't know better.

The only place I can understand subsonic rounds is in the .22LR. That way when you are shooting at distance your bullets don't go through the transonic barrier...

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You must be kidding Greg.

I run a fair amount of subsonic 308. With a suppressor, the sound difference is EXTREME.

Banned
    Maybe to you, but not down range say past 100 yards..

I'd encourage you to get some experience with what you're talking about. You are as wrong about this as anyone could be. Anyone that has experience with subsonic rounds through a suppressor will read your posts and immediately classify you into a category which I'd rather not have them classify you into. Trust me.

Subsonic does not have the telltale sonic "crack" that supersonic rounds do. The difference between subs and super's is extreme. My father lives 1.3 miles away from my house. When I'm out shooting supersonic 308, suppressed, he can hear it over at his place due to the sonic crack. When I'm shooting subs... you wouldn't hear anything 300yds away, damn sure not a mile out. At the rifle, you hear just a little thump. The sound of the bullet hitting the dirt is louder than what happens at the rifle in most cases. If you hit steel, well... it's hilarious. Because its so quiet that if a vehicle is running, people don't even know you've fired... and the bullet hits the steel and sounds like someone is down there with a hammer cranking away.

...and then, if you want subsonic shots, why use a .300 Win Mag? I mean, these weapons have been built so you can have faster projectiles with more energy - sounds to me like exactly the opposite of what you are looking for...

There is a major sound difference when running suppressed. Thing is, even suppressed the super sonic rounds carry the crack with them down range. They are almost as loud at 500 yards as they are at the muzzle when they are suppressed. On the other hand, sub sonic rounds have no crack trailing them down range. The only sound is the initial bang which when suppressed isn't much. Like Orkan said, the sound of he bullet hitting whatever is louder than the initial bang.

That being said, 300wm is far from ideal for 30 cal subsonic. 308 works, but is also not ideal. If you are serious about running 30 cal subs then you really need a 300 blackout in preferably a bolt or break action. I have no problems shooting 220 smk's at 1050 out of my 300 blk out and there is not an over abundance as with the 308 and especially the 300wm. You are going to have trouble with consistency with a 300wm and so little powder.

I use a1680 in my 300 blk out. About 11 grains. I used 8gr of titegroup in my 308 with 170gr round nose bullets. Always start high and work down. You don't want a bullet stuck in the barrel. Make sure they are stabilizing before screwing your suppressor on.

Good luck.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Like buying a Corvette to parade with.
    GMinor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    ...and then, if you want subsonic shots, why use a .300 Win Mag? I mean, these weapons have been built so you can have faster projectiles with more energy - sounds to me like exactly the opposite of what you are looking for...
    Here is a link that give close to sub-sonic for 300 Win Mag. http://hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20Boss%...oads%20R&P.pdf

Kenny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads