ladder testing

ladder testing

This is a discussion on ladder testing within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have recently had GA Precision build my Model 70 in 300WSM with a Krieger barrel that has a 1-10 rate. I just did the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ladder testing

Question ladder testing

I have recently had GA Precision build my Model 70 in 300WSM with a Krieger barrel that has a 1-10 rate. I just did the first ladder test with it at 300yds and I my results were kind of confusing. I was expecting them to climb up the paper. But they didn't, they stayed in a 4" group. The Chronograph said that each round was increasing in speed. 2789 to 3030fps with 10 shoots in 1/2 grain increments. It was 27 F with a 30.20pressure and 59% humidity @900ft on that day. Will I get more "defining" results if it was warmer or do I just need to go out to say 5 or 600yds? If anyone has any input or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it?

You'd get similar results if it was warmer. It sounds like you may need to take it out farther to around 500 so those shots open up more.
    "I will never explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom that I provided, then questions the manner in which I provide it"

The more rigid your barrel is, the less value a ladder test will have.

One of the many reasons I am an advocate of OCW instead of audette ladder testing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I not familiar with OCW?

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

Dan's an awesome guy, and the method outlined there is quite excellent. He needs to update his website to a better format, as it's legendarily bad... but the content is good!

I have an OCW worksheet databook page if you're interested.
    Primal Rights ? View topic - Databook Pages

So are you saying that if you have a stiff barrel you won't get "tuning nodes"?

Thank you so much for the info, I never heard of it "OCW". I'll read it over and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight1979 View Post
    So are you saying that if you have a stiff barrel you won't get "tuning nodes"?

They'll still be there but will be hard to pick out at shorter test ranges due to the fact that the nodes will much wider. If you do your ladder test with a heavy (stiff) barrel at 300 yards, and it looks like all the shots are grouping together, you may have to move out farther (500 yards or so) to get enough separation s you can identify a node.

If you're shooting at shorter ranges only, and you have nice wide accuracy nodes that group shots nice and tight why bother. Just take advantage of that feature a heavy barrel possesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    I am an advocate of OCW instead of audette ladder testing.

I don't remember what forum it was, maybe here, but one person showed his variation of the Audette ladder test. Rather than using a target vertically, he drew a horizontal line with spaced "aim points" then merely measured the vertical displacement above or below the line to identify his nodes. It seemed to work and made it a lot easier to identify each shot as to it's position in the sequence. With a conventional Audette, you can get pretty cluttered in a hurry. You need a good spotting scope and have to mark your hits accurately on your bench sheet. His method simplified this greatly.

That's one of the reasons I prefer OCW. Much easier to track, and the results are far more definitive. I believe there is more to timing the load than vertical dispersion. You can test at 100yds with OCW, on most things. That's nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads