Seeking suggestions on progressive press - Page 2

Seeking suggestions on progressive press

This is a discussion on Seeking suggestions on progressive press within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Thanks guys. I have been looking at Brian's site and will call him next week when I'm back from Disneyland with the kids. I looked ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seeking suggestions on progressive press

Thanks guys. I have been looking at Brian's site and will call him next week when I'm back from Disneyland with the kids.

I looked at the L&L and did not feel "it".

I think Brian will do me right. I may move up to the 650 for down the road if I would get just as good as 308 ammo out of it as the 550

I use the 550b for my pistol ammo and 223. All my other rifle stuff it done on my rock chunker.

Same here. All my plinking ammo is done on the 550b, but all my precision loads are done a single stage(Lyman Tmag)
    1903 Springfield in 308, Vortex Viper, 7.62 26" bull barrel, Glass bedded
    No load yet

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 223, R-223, Champion bipod
    Safe queen

AR in 223 with Spikes lower, Armalite kit w/ national match stage 2, RRA 20" V4, Magpul PRS, SWFA 10 power
    80 gr Sierra BTHP Match, 24 gr Varget, CCI SRP

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

I think Brian will do me right. I may move up to the 650 for down the road if I would get just as good as 308 ammo out of it as the 550
    The 650 isn't as easy to use "weighed charges" for loading as the 550 is. That said, if you do all your case prep in advance, including priming, then remove the primer magazine from the 650 and replace the powder dispenser with a funnel and adapter from a 550. The only advantage though will be the auto advance.

I'd just stick with the 550 if all you're loading is .308. The 650's really sing when loading .223 or high volume pistol ammo. If you're satisfied with more of a "factory load" then again the 650 is OK.

As far as I am concerned, until you get into really high volume, there's no advantage to a 650. I find that with my 550b, I can load ammo as fast as practical. If I try and go too fast then it's not possible to pay attention to everything, and I can tell you from experience that if your attention wanders then that's when you miss something and you end up with a bad round or three.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

I also struggled with the decision between 550 and 650. I do believe you must also take into consideration how long it takes to change calibers. I usually only load 300-500 before switching, so I want changeovers to be as easy as possible. From my research, the 550 will change calibers quicker Than the 650.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    I also struggled with the decision between 550 and 650. I do believe you must also take into consideration how long it takes to change calibers. I usually only load 300-500 before switching, so I want changeovers to be as easy as possible. From my research, the 550 will change calibers quicker Than the 650.
    After the first change or two you'd be amazed at how quick one can make the switch.

Want to speed the process, get an extra powder bar or two. Once they're set for your load then swap bars rather than trying to redial-in a new one on the same bar. Just buy extra powder dies (they sell them in 3-packs for a discount) and then move the powder measure from tool-head to tool-head. Save some bucks and it only takes "two screws and a powder bar swap).

Brian Enos is more than happy to share this with his customers while Dillon wants to sell "the full meal deal".

I have decided to get the full quick change kit for mine. I have four and will buy another four over the next few months. A quick change kit is $103.

A tool head is $23
    A powder bar is $16
    A powder die is $13
    So at $52 you are only out another $50 for a powder measure and toolhead stand.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    I have decided to get the full quick change kit for mine. I have four and will buy another four over the next few months. A quick change kit is $103.

A tool head is $23
    A powder bar is $16
    A powder die is $13
    So at $52 you are only out another $50 for a powder measure and toolhead stand.

I don't disagree and have 4 complete QC units for my 650. I just thought I'd toss it out there. In the shooting world there are a lot out there that are looking for ways to save a few bucks. They'll spend thousands on an AR-15 but cringe at the idea of a Dillon Super Swage. To save bucks they'll use everything from a drill bit to a countersink to "ream" the crimps out of military brass.

While you, I, and a lot more will use the same logic that you're almost there, why not do it right, others view it like a 10' high wall and will seek a cheap way around.
    ddd oo7 and exsimguy1 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads