Seeking suggestions on progressive press

This is a discussion on Seeking suggestions on progressive press within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So I have been thinking about buying a reloading setup for a while and wanted to ask you all since I have lurked here for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seeking suggestions on progressive press

So I have been thinking about buying a reloading setup for a while and wanted to ask you all since I have lurked here for a while.

I have about 750$ to spend (maybe more if it makes a huge difference)

I want to reload 308 for my dpms 308 (will have to crimp since semi) and then 9mm/40/.45 for my handguns.

I have a few AR-15 if I wanted to reload down the road I might also.

I am looking at a progressive one because of the quantity of ammo I want to load.

With 5 kids under 9, while I have a wooden bench and area all setup and ready in my garage, leaving unfinished ammo isn't a safe option. I prefer having an hour or two at night once they are all in bed to load what I want for that night.

So my question is what kit or non kit should I look at. I will need a tumbler also as having the ability to turn it on and walk away while doing daddy stuff is needed to help take lube off the brass.

Right now I think I'll pass on a RCBS Charge Master for my 308 loading but down the road I may pick one up.

Any recommendations on which kit to get or not to get as well as necessary tools (primer cleaners/etc). I have no preference to blue or red systems just looking for a good investment that will last for many years as my boys continue shooting with me.

I have some experience from my uncle and his 3 single stage lee presses. He is meticulous in his loading (books/notebooks/measurements/etc). Has loaded amazing 243 for me that has killed many deer with ease.

While I don't mind a single stage, I don't have the space to layout everything in stages or the time to sacrifice.

If you have any other questions ask away and I'll answer if I can will be starting from scratch.

You do not have to crimp with a semi--what you have to do is to obtain significant neck tension (like 0.003" of radial expansion) and the bullet will be held well.

As far as progressives go--one word:: Dillon.
    However, I can reload 100 match grade 308W rounds in 2 hours on a single stage press.

Dillon 550b. Hands down.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

550 dillon is great for what you need. Quick change kits for each caliber are very handy, but can get pricey. You will want to read up on Brian enos site. Just google his name and you will find it. If you have a C&R ffl then grafs is the cheapest to order from if you set up a dealer account.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

The Dillon 550b is expensive but it's built like a tank and has an iron-clad life time warranty. It's a manual index but auto-index is a feature I learned to hate on other progressives.

My next choice after that would be the RCBS (manual index) and then the Hornady.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    The Dillon 550b is expensive but it's built like a tank and has an iron-clad life time warranty. It's a manual index but auto-index is a feature I learned to hate on other progressives.

My next choice after that would be the RCBS (manual index) and then the Hornady.

The Dillon 550b is NOT EXPENSIVE. You only have to buy it once. Way too many people thought that they were too expensive and then bought other progressive presses only to eventually dump them in favor of a Dillon 550b or even an XL650. The only reason I went with a 650 instead of he 550 is the auto advance is invaluable when loading .223 "AR Food" or pistol rounds for semi-auto's. For .308 only, the 550 is a better fit.

A Dillon 550 will fit within the OP's budget and he won't be sorry.

The Hornady LnL progressive has been a big disappointment for many and several I know, who bought them because they were cheaper than Dillons, have since sold them and purchased Dillon's.

As for the RCBS "progressives"? Not even on my list. RCBS builds great single stage presses. They haven't even risen above the horizon as far as their progressives go.

Then let me modify that to say that the Dillon 500b seems expensive in comparison but it is a better value in the long run.

If you want a good place to shop for a Dillon, let me suggest Dillon Precision Reloading on BrianEnos.com A really good comparison of features and suggestions on how best to equip them. Plus it's run by a pro who knows his stuff.

I definitely recommend Brian Enos. Peruse his website first than call Brian to place the order. He'll talk a beginner through the process and do everything in his power to help them get exactly what they need ------the first time. A great guy to talk to.

I got my 550b with 2 full station for 500$ Watch your local gun auctions. We have 2 to 3 large auctions in WI every year and there is always one or two Dillons.
    1903 Springfield in 308, Vortex Viper, 7.62 26" bull barrel, Glass bedded
    No load yet

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 223, R-223, Champion bipod
    Safe queen

AR in 223 with Spikes lower, Armalite kit w/ national match stage 2, RRA 20" V4, Magpul PRS, SWFA 10 power
    80 gr Sierra BTHP Match, 24 gr Varget, CCI SRP

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1999 View Post
    I got my 550b with 2 full station for 500$ Watch your local gun auctions. We have 2 to 3 large auctions in WI every year and there is always one or two Dillons.
    AND, if you buy a used Dillon press that needs work, you can send it to them and they will fix it - often for just the price of shipping.
    Dillon No B.S. Warranty ? Part 1 ? Before « Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads