What the "Pros" are using.

This is a discussion on What the "Pros" are using. within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Don't know if you guys have seen this blog yet, it is interesting. This guy basically records what the top PRS shooters are using. Interesting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What the "Pros" are using.

Don't know if you guys have seen this blog yet, it is interesting. This guy basically records what the top PRS shooters are using.

Interesting results, but not enough data right not on most of it to surmise much.

Though the trend of 6mm's as the go to cartridge for shooting is interesting. And Bergers domination of bullets is as well.

The barrels used is interesting, but is lacking longevity, I'd be curious to see if there are any correlations between what barrel manufacturer is top vs lead times and group buys.

All interesting stuff.

Rifle Calibers ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com
    Joseph "Rhyno"

A lot of guys and gals at the local match have been switching to the 6mm calibers when their 6.5 barrels wear out. I believe it is because the way the matches are set up rather than ballistic superiority. The local match is set up to PRS standards and most targets are relatively close, 75% being 400-600 yards, and relatively close together. Plus the movement through houses and around obstacles is easier with a shorter barrel. The 3150 fps mark is not to difficult to achieve with a 6mm and a 20 inch barrel. If the targets started at 600 and went to 1300 then the 6.5 or 7mm cals would be the ticket. Known distance shooting is much easier then unknown. If the targets were at unknown distances, I suspect the big 30's would dominate.

This blog has a number of different similar comparisons that have been noted and discussed here. The fundamental problem as I see it (IOW the world according to me) is that not everyone needs what "the pros use".

These review/comparisons on this blog have mostly been about what's being used in the Precision Rifle Series. Well, if you don't shoot PRS then what they use may or may not be of real value to you. And it's easy to get into the mode of thinking that you should be using the same thing without understanding that your needs may be completely different.

A few years ago, a fellow I know bought a new .243 based on the fact that a lot of people shooting some competitions in his area used that caliber. What he didn't understand was that they had a very specific need for that type of round and didn't care that they would burn out the barrel in a season. His needs were different and it was an expensive mistake.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

No doubt, still interesting.

That issue is why I wonder if the "fall" of Kreiger barrels was due to lead time, or that Bartlein always seems to have a group buy going on somewhere.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Administrator
    Krieger has fallen? Didn't know that.

Couldn't tell it by the thousands of shooters at our matches still stocking up on them, and the fact that their lead time has not fallen.

I would absolutely run a Bartlein if I needed to, or a Krieger, or a [fill in the blank], but keeping ahead of your barrel-change interval is always a good idea. It's the only way you can truly avoid the possibility of coming against ANY of the manufacturer's lead times.

The only way to do that is to track your rounds sent.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

Yup, been seen before. Totally impossible to quantify any conclusions drawn from that data.

Match shooters choose equipment for a lot of reasons, one of which is sponsorships. This is a MAJOR factor. I've seen many shooters tout X company as the best in the world, and then the very next year that company is considered crap, and Y company is the best. Consequently, Y company is that shooters new sponsor.

That's why I've put fall in quotation marks, and wondered how much lead times and group buys effected that.

Orkan, something can always be derived from data. Just not always what you think, or want.

Whiles sponsorship certainly may account for barrels, scopes, and bullets, it doesn't account for things like chamberings, Barrel length, or velocity.

I have prefaced this as there not being enough data, and there isn't.

But it's an interesting read.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno430 View Post
    Whiles sponsorship certainly may account for barrels, scopes, and bullets, it doesn't account for things like chamberings, Barrel length, or velocity.
    You don't need competition data to draw conclusions about those things. Regular non-competition shooters have been doing it for decades. Heck, you'd have to try hard to find a cartridge to ask me about which I couldn't tell you about how fast it would push what. Wasn't the GAP grind won last year by a guy with an 18" 308? Maybe it was 2 years ago. Anyway, as I said, the data is conversational... but drawing hardened conclusions from it is pretty much a lost cause.

Velocity data from matches is also totally moot because they have velocity restrictions in place. Otherwise everyone would show up with a 22-243AI or 22-284 shooting 75-Amax at 3800fps.

It's largely an Indian vs arrow thing. The top shooters are the top shooters because they are better than those who aren't the top shooters and they probably spend more time shooting in one month than the others spend in a year. For the most part, their equipment is not what's putting them into the top 10.
    Rob01, natdscott and Orkan like this.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

No doubt that the Indian plays a huge part. But it's interesting.

And this is only one style of shooting.

As I've said from the start, it's an interesting read. But not much can be surmised from it. For a few reasons.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads