Why is the 308 winchester soooooooooooooo popular?

This is a discussion on Why is the 308 winchester soooooooooooooo popular? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm new to this but it seems that almost every rifle i look at is a 308/ 7.62. i know its a good hunting round ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm new to this but it seems that almost every rifle i look at is a 308/ 7.62.
    i know its a good hunting round but why is it so popular for snipers? are there not special calibers that would be better? what i mean is, im trying to stay on track, if the rifle is so specialized and basicly custom, right? and the scopes (GOD!) SO specialized w/ differtent reticles and magnification and stuff. even the rings. then why use a common round like the 308? i mean you guys mostly load up your own bullets anyway right? so isnt there a flatter shooting bullet out there that could be used w alot of power?
    what about the 6.5mm bullets? they are supposed to be the best for penetrating and shooting flat. then again im just going on some talk iv heard.
    which is why im asking here.
    "gosh darn-it, somebodys got to go back and get a @#$*load of dimes"

For starters .308 is popular because it is one of the most common rounds around due to it being a NATO round. Secondly it is much cheaper to shoot then a lot of other rounds. Also with it being used as a military round it carries alot of prestiege. Mind you .308 is not perfect but is a good round in the aspect of it retains energy better then some of the smaller rounds due to it being .30 cal. Example if you have a .270 round and a .308 round that are fired (and both carrying the same muzzle energy @ 500 yards the .270 will have bleed off more energy then the .308. This is not to say that a smaller caliber is not better, after all I shoot 7mm Rem Mag, but it is a simple case of ballistics also.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Like was said abouve. The military uses it so it is popular. BTW I like the 6.5 round myself.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    For starters .308 is popular because it is one of the most common rounds around due to it being a NATO round. Secondly it is much cheaper to shoot then a lot of other rounds.
    from just reading around on this site, id say that cost COULDNT be a factor. i mean i just read a post that someone spent $500 on a scope base.
    i guess what i mean is" is a 308 that much better than say the old 6.5 swede. all other things being equal.
    i ask because im looking at buying a CZ550 in 6.5x 55.

Depends on where you live. In some areas .308 ammunition is MUCH cheaper than 6.5x55.

Nekekami,
    6.5 swede grows like weeds over there doesnt it. you dont even have to buy it, just pick it up of the ground.
    you have a long history of the 6.5 MM rounds. is it inferior to the 30 cal?

No, it doesn't grow like weeds. And it's slowly losing popularity also, since it'll most likely fall out of the Swedish Class 1 for hunting.

But, inferior? Depends on the loads. In general it delivers less total energy, but it's generally more accurate, with better range and lower time to target. You can shoot elks with it, but it requires good bullets(which are expensive), and good shot placement.

running the number the 120 grain looks like 14" less drop at 500 yards than the 168 grain 308 but only 50 less pounds of energy. and, your 100% correct. flight time is .638 of a sec. as opposed to the 308 which is .720 of a sec. almost a full tenth of a second.
    i dont know it looks like a great round. flat trajectory, speed, energy, high BC. low recoil. im torn.

Yes, it is a great round for target shooting and some hunting. It's just that it might fall a bit short performance wise against bigger game such as elks(and won't do at all against bear) if you want to have some safety margin.

and by the energy factor it looks like it would be sufficiant for anti-personel use out to as far as a 308. or is there another factor that gives the 308 a benifit past say the 600 yard range?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads