Ammo opinions for the Steyr Scout

This is a discussion on Ammo opinions for the Steyr Scout within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi Everyone - I imagine if the ammo is good enough for the real snipers here it's good enough for my scout. I'm looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Everyone - I imagine if the ammo is good enough for the real snipers here it's good enough for my scout.

I'm looking for 1 MOA ammo.
    http://steyrscout.org/steyrdb.htm
    Here are some rifle data for different makes and grains of .308 for the scout. What isn't shown is Lake City .308 (XM90) - not the match M118. I was wondering if anyone could vouch for its efficacy sub or equal to 1MOA.

Also, what about the South African .308 surplus? Can I run that though by gun and not destroy it? For the price I can tolerate 2MOA performance, but if anyone uses it regularly with no problems through their nice gun, then I won't mind it going through my $2300 boomstick.

Thanks everyone!

I've used the South African .308 from Centerfire with good results.I can hit about 1.5 MOA @100 yards with my FAL.You should be able to top that easily with your Steyr.I had some Greek .308 years ago that was hit and miss[literally] but the South African stuff I got seems to be reliable.

Jeff

My experience is very limited.
    But, try Winchester .308 155grain Sierra Palma match.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you are not a handloader, try Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.

If you handload, I'm certain that subminute loads could be crafted using Sierra, Nosler or Lapua bullets in concert with IMR-4064.

The US Military used to use IMR-4064 for its precision 7.62x51 ammo. You cannot go wrong here in playing the role of the copy-cat.

If your rifle were mine, it would never see a factory round. Your rifle is special and it deserves hand-crafted ammo.

I would not use any military surplus ammo in that piece. Using military surplus ammo in a Steyr Scout is like using kerosene to fuel a Ferrari.

Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by madgunsmith
    If you are not a handloader, try Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.

If you handload, I'm certain that subminute loads could be crafted using Sierra, Nosler or Lapua bullets in concert with IMR-4064.

The US Military used to use IMR-4064 for its precision 7.62x51 ammo. You cannot go wrong here in playing the role of the copy-cat.

If your rifle were mine, it would never see a factory round. Your rifle is special and it deserves hand-crafted ammo.

I would not use any military surplus ammo in that piece. Using military surplus ammo in a Steyr Scout is like using kerosene to fuel a Ferrari.

Mad.
    The Federal Gold Match is your best bet for widely available factory ammo.

+1 to FGGM. I've heard more and more stories of people getting over pressured surplus (7.62x51) stuck in their chambers of their nice sniper rifles (Generally.308 bolts). Although they are generally excepted as interchangeable for a rifle like the Scout I'd avoid the surplus (except M118). But this is just a trend I've noticed especially with reports regarding the South African stuff. If you can handle the price of FGGM it's the way to go, if not Black Hills is a little cheaper and quite admirable as well in my experiences. Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy
    +1 to FGGM. I've heard more and more stories of people getting over pressured surplus (7.62x51) stuck in their chambers of their nice sniper rifles (Generally.308 bolts). Although they are generally excepted as interchangeable for a rifle like the Scout I'd avoid the surplus (except M118). But this is just a trend I've noticed especially with reports regarding the South African stuff. If you can handle the price of FGGM it's the way to go, if not Black Hills is a little cheaper and quite admirable as well in my experiences. Cheers!
    I can also attest to the M118. that is great, great stuff. Even has match bullets and it's cheap.

Wow, this lifestyle is definite becoming expensive quickly. I want to take gunsite 270 in the near future, and I also want to practice with my firearm a lot. I suppose bolt actions will be a much different experience in terms of ammo requirements though - I am a Marine who's used to going through 500 rounds during a day of training in an M16. I know the only way to become proficient is to get trigger time, but I was looking at somewhat economical options. I will take everyone's advice to stay away from the surplus though. Unfortunately during a crisis low quality ammo might be only what's available. The Scout is a much different concept then the rifles I've seen here, but yes, it is still worthy of high quality ammo.

I've been impressed with AE223 in the red box; how does everyone feel about AE308D? And also, do you buy in bulk and where from?

Thanks everyone for your through replies.

I have always liked American Eagle round for cheaper practice but with quality ammo.

I dont see the harm of using surplus either though. Mad is entirely right saying the gun is capable of more and deserves better, but trigger time is always your friend...And if you can get some good training in, that would definately be cool. Get yourself some US made surplus if at all possible, or maybe Portuguese?

Are you already an established handloader?

I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Hidden Content

I am not trying to "flame" anyone. Hardcorps deserves our respect as he has not only served the country but also gone to the trouble and expense of buying a very serious rifle.

That said, it always baffles me how guys will spend thousands on a rifle and then try to save a few pennies by shooting cheap surplus ammo.

If you spend less than $200 on some very basic handloading equipment, I guarantee that you will be able to handload ammo that will exceed one minute of angle. It will be so easy that you will kick yourself.

If you send me a pm, I will give you a list of everything you need. I will give you part numbers, and I will tell you where to buy everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads