can ammo get wet?

can ammo get wet?

This is a discussion on can ammo get wet? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; This may be a dumb question, but I'm no expert on ammo. If it can how wet can it get? submerged? Any ideas would be ...

can ammo get wet?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm no expert on ammo. If it can how wet can it get? submerged? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Although it tempts fate,I think ammo that's been in water for a short amount of time shouldn't be a problem.I've hunted soaked before and had no adverse effects on my ammo, but after a while it corrodes.

Jeff

Administrator
    As I understand it, it depends on the ammo. Military ammo has sealed primers, and (i think) sealant applied around the bullet before it is crimped (or maybe not, and the crimp seals it). However, standard civvy rifle ammo is NOT sealed, unless so stated.

Rimfire ammo: gets wet.

Shotgun ammo: also gets wet after awhile, the primers are usually not sealed, even if the front is melt-sealed (factory ammo usually is, but reloads such as cheap AA are NOT).
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

In my experience most ammo can get wet without ill effect, and for the most part even if the powder gets wet you can just let it dry. 9 times out of 10 it will work fine, but that is just in my experience.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

On Midway Island I found some 50 cal ammo that had been submerged for 40 years. I took some to the beach and broke them open. The powder was still dry and burned quite violently.
    Hidden Content

Kaz

It won't make any difference unless you're submerging certain types of ammo and trying to make it fail. Keyword: "submerging", nomal use like getting rained on while you're hunting will not cause any problems. Military ammo is especially resistant to water, consider certain units using certain insertion methods involving lots of swimming.

Not to sound too much like a wise guy, but gunpowder (smokeless or blackpowder) starts out being wet. :lol:

Anyways, I don't really have experience with wet ammo because I never shoot or hunt in the rain. However once while shooting with friends I had a small bag full of loose ammo sitting next to an aquaduct fall in and I caught it in time but the ammo still got wet. I had lots of .22LRs, like 20 .410 shells, 15 .357 magnums, and 50 12 gauge shells. Every single cartridge fired. :wink:

A friend of mine was recently checking the zero on his deer rifle using last season's hand loads and was getting over-pressure issues. After 2 bad rounds, he pulled a few bullets and found that the powder had absorbed enough moisture through the year to make all ~100 of his left-over rounds from last season too dangerous to shoot and too messy to reload. He was not a happy man.

Thanks guys for all the great answers. Just dropped a 3 point buck(6 point to those crazy easterners) in 4 feet of snow today with more falling. I always seem to get my ammo wet. I shot the buck today with some ammo that had got wet. Killed him right away. Just the way I like it, no suffering. The ruger vt308 strikes again!

Ads