6.5x55 Swedish - Long or Short 700? And build ideas...

This is a discussion on 6.5x55 Swedish - Long or Short 700? And build ideas... within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Any assistance would be wonderful. I can not for the life of me find the answer to this, and I've gone to hell and back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any assistance would be wonderful. I can not for the life of me find the answer to this, and I've gone to hell and back with google and remington.com . With the cartridge length falling right in between a .308 and 30-06 I can't figure out if a swedish mauser would be a long or short action 700! Thank you!

Just asking because I got this intense urge to build something recently, and with tax return season coming I decided to get some information. A new rifle is never a bad thing either. At this time I'm thinking of buying the appropriate 700 action and sending it to ER Shaw to have it barreled in with a light-medium sporter, probably 24" tube. Have the barreled action blued. I have the means to true, lap, and tap the action myself if necessary. Then probably drop it in a "Monterey" type stock from Boyds with some higher grade walnut upgrades and what not. Anyone have suggestions or experiences they care to share? Everything is greatly appreciated. Thanks much all! Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Use a long action so you can use the longer and heavier bullets that really shine at long range. Also I recommend a 1:9 twist.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

You need a long action.

I have 6.5x55mm rifles with both 8 and 9 inch twists. The 8 inch twist is more accurate with heavy, long bullets. But the 9 inch twist is no slouch in the accuracy department either.

But if I were building a 6.5x55mm, I'd choose an 8 inch twist barrel.

Mad

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Ah thank you so much guys! I simply could not find that anywhere. Ill probably end up getting a 1 in 9", as that's what ER Shaw offers for their 6.5x55 barrels from what I've seen. The 1 in 9" and 24" (maybe longer?) barrel should definitly make the most of the high BC/SD bullets by taking advantage of as much velocity as possible. We'll see, this is the plan for now as things take shape regardless what form Ill post pictures and all that fun stuff. Thanks guys! Cheers.
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

MAD,

Where did you find a 1:8 twist? I have looked but found one.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

I can get you one. Actually I can get you military or commercial with either 7.5 or 8 twist. The military ones are 7.5, and LW and Lawton will do an 8.
    ML313 Founder LOSOK Custom Arms LLC

Hidden Content

Know your enemy and yourself, and you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles-SunTzu

Practice does not make perfect, PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT-OSP Drill Instructor

Sponsors
    I have also gotten 1:7.5 and 1:8 from MTR

MEL

Lothar Walther also makes a .264" diameter barrel with a one in 8 inch twist rate.

It is in the Brownells catalogue as part no: 950-000-001. The price is $216.96.

Now bear in mind this is for a contoured blank. You still need to have it chambered, threaded and fitted to your action.

Mad.

I've heard great things about Lothar Walther, unfortunately right now I do need a chambered and threaded barrel. This is part of the reason Im settling for the 700 action, as it should be much easier to find the proper fitted barrel. I may do MTR barrel, as I was also looking at their actions, but decided price would be a bit steep. Just have to look around at fitted 700 barrels.

Funny actually if I find a barrel that works out wonderfully for this project, Ill be picking up a very similar barrel sooner or later to rebarrel an old Pre 64 model 70 in .264 Winchester Mag, and here I thought I was a .30 caliber dude... if only time and money were more plentiful right? Thanks much for the help guys! Cheers!
    Sir Winston Churchill

Krieger 6.5mm barrels are also offered with a one turn in 8" twist. And so are Douglas barrels.

Lilja also makes a 6.5mm barrel with an 8" twist. Pac Nor also has 6.5mm barrels available with an 8" twist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads