Least expensive 100+ yard round?

This is a discussion on Least expensive 100+ yard round? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; In a recent discussion, we thought it is probably .223, but maybe there is a pistol caliber carbine that would be effective at 100 yards ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NorCalFocus
  • 1 Post By kickin45
  • 2 Post By ddd oo7

Thread: Least expensive 100+ yard round?

In a recent discussion, we thought it is probably .223, but maybe there is a pistol caliber carbine that would be effective at 100 yards and cost less per round?

Reloading or buying ammo? That would factor in as well.

9mm ammo is so cheap to buy its not worth reloading. But if your goal was precision shooting at 100 yards, I wouldn't want to run 9mm. IF your goal is strictly steel plates then yeah 9mm would be fine. .223 is hard to beat for cheap 100 yard rifle shooting.
    mike.h likes this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Reloading or buying ammo? That would factor in as well.

9mm ammo is so cheap to buy its not worth reloading. But if your goal was precision shooting at 100 yards, I wouldn't want to run 9mm. IF your goal is strictly steel plates then yeah 9mm would be fine. .223 is hard to beat for cheap 100 yard rifle shooting.
    Thanks for the reply. We actually discussed 9mm, and compared prices on midway. Some 223 is as cheap as 26 cents per round, which matches the lowest prices on 9mm, or nearly so. I think that is going to be hard to beat.

As for reloading vs factory, I'd be curious about both. But as you mention, some of these factory rounds are sufficiently inexpensive that they aren't worth reloading.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You can shoot 22 LR at 100 yds.

My 17 hmr at 100 yards is deadly, and when on sale you can get a box of 50 for less then 10 bucks.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

22WMR is very capable at 100yds
    Scoutmaster likes this.

I guess it depends on what kind of shooting you want to do and what level of repeatable accuracy you want to achieve. A .22 is capable of hitting targets at 100yds and is one of the most cost effective rounds out there. A 10mph breeze will move it quite a bit though as compared to something moving around 3 time the FPS like a .223... I've shot .22 at 200yds and you talk about having to allow for wind.... I had a great spotter help me and I haven't done it in a while but I think I had to use about 11mils elevation and almost 2 mils wind to hit a 12" lolly pop.

.357 Magnum.

I've even shot it from a 6" barrel 686 at 100 yards and had hits "touching each other".

I'm actually considering the purchase of a lever action carbine with 16" barrel so my 4" Taurus Tracker will have a big brother to go shooting with.

Not only do you have a pretty good 100 yard round but you still have a lethal caliber for bigger "critters".

Want to shoot ultra cheap in that rifle, cast bullets and load to 38 spl level.
    Last edited by deadshot2; 09-18-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Are you wanting a round for precision shooting at 100 yards?

Cheap and precision don’t go together. Cheap off the shelf 223 ammo won’t shoot well (precision wise) in any rifle. That will hold true for cheap off the shelf 9mm ammo and cheap 22 ammo. If you want precision, you will need to either buy quality ammo or load your own neither of which is going to be the cheapest option.

BTW— I lost my faith in the almighty 357 mag when I realized that it is only slightly better energy wise than a 9mm +p. I don’t consider 357 to be a “large game” round by any means. While it can obviously kill a deer, it is not an authority at doing such. However It might be a decent round for 100 yard plinking. Just not large game hunting or precision work.
    Miningshawn and trigger68 like this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ads