Max Range

Max Range

This is a discussion on Max Range within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello I have an Remington 700 SPS 30-06 with a 24inch barrel. It has a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44mm rifle scope with a BDC reticle. What ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ddd oo7
  • 1 Post By gpark09
  • 1 Post By Martino1
  • 1 Post By ihasarifle

Thread: Max Range

Max Range

Hello I have an Remington 700 SPS 30-06 with a 24inch barrel. It has a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44mm rifle scope with a BDC reticle. What is the max range that I could take a deer at or maybe an elk I live and Montana and will be using it as my primary hunting rifle?

There are a whole lot of variables in this situation that will influence the outcome. Precision shooting at long range does not happen consistently by accident. One might get lucky for one or two shots. Consistency in long range shooting comes by first having the proper equipment and second using that equipment enough to know how to use it.

Some questions about your equipment
    What ammo are you using?
    What size groups can you constantly shoot? Not the occasional good group, but the normal group.
    How close can you come to hitting a 1/2” dot at 100 yards with a cold bore shot. Some rifles that shoot decent groups Don’t hit well with cold bore shots.
    Does your scope track consistently? Does it hold zero? Low end vortex are not know for quality or consistency.
    Do you have a range finder?
    Do you have a weather meter? (Kestrel)
    Do you have a good bipod to shoot off of? Do you have a place where you are hunting that you can use the bipod? Most places I have hunted I would find it difficult to use a bipod and still see anything over the grass. If that is the case do you have a good tripod? A long distance shot is not going to be taken properly without a consistent rest such as a bipod or tripod.

Given a standard small barrel 700 chambered in 30-06 with a low end scope, the absolute longest shot I would attempt would be 250-300 yards. If you really know your rifle and it happens to be an unusually good shooting 700 and you have some of the above equipment you might stretch that to 500, but that is unlikely.

Hunting at long range is possible and with the right equipment and training it is an absolute blast. If you are truly interested in long range hunting let me know and I will put you in contact with someone who can help you accomplish your goals.
    tonytoshiba likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I only heard, with '06, you can stretch it to 600 and little beyond if you are experienced. Number of elk/bear hunters I spoke to would really like the game to be inside of 400 for clean and ethical kill.

If you are asking this question, you want to bring it inside of 200 or even inside of 100 if it will be your first kill. No disrespect here. Happy hunting.
    tonytoshiba likes this.
    Hidden Content

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    I only heard, with '06, you can stretch it to 600 and little beyond if you are experienced. Number of elk/bear hunters I spoke to would really like the game to be inside of 400 for clean and ethical kill.

If you are asking this question, you want to bring it inside of 200 or even inside of 100 if it will be your first kill. No disrespect here. Happy hunting.
    When I used to go hunting (in my younger days; age has taken its toll) all the above quoted had been my understanding. 400 yds or less . . . depending on the landscape, in my book.

I would suggest that you go to a range that has steel targets. Get there early in the morning so hopefully the targets will have fresh paint on them and practice at the distances you are considering. If you can have a spotter positioned directly behind you, he may be able to see the bullet vapor trail and call out corrections if they can see the splash.

Practice what it takes to get a round in a vital zone at those distances using the positions that you can reasonably expect given the country you will be hunting. Remember that if you are calm cool and collected at the range, you will have to deal with the adrenalin boost of seeing game that will probably get you a bit more unsteady depending on how many times you've seen game and it's affect on you. Its different for everyone. I'm not a new hunter and this is still an issue for me. I'm a meat hunter so if I'm looking at a fatty with big hams I look away to try to calm down then I get back on the sight picture that is if the game allows me to do it. If I can't get a solid steady sight pic on the target for about a 2 - 3 seconds, I don't take the shot. My ankle isn't in great shape so tracking game is not in the cards for me. I'm good unsupported out to about 100-150yds. Most of my shots have been inside 200 on deer. I have my tripod with me when I hunt but I haven't shot game using it yet. At the range, I shoot my target bolt guns off of my tripod at 500 yard shots at 12" lolly pops and its somewhat boring for me. After about 500 yards wind tends to have a greater affect on the 175SMKs and 140 Berger Hybrids I shoot especially when you get out to 1000yds. Not that I'm a great shot but once you get dialed in to 900-1000 with a 308 or 6.5CM, 500yds is not much of a challenge so long as I have the time to steady up and take my shot at 500. I've got pretty decent range rifles.

My travel hunting rifle is a Howa 1500 in 30-06. I use Federal Fusion 150 grain bullets. I heard others who didn't think much of these bullets, but I've had good experience with them dropping deer. You do need to realize that after a number of shots, your POI might wander a bit as a skinnier sporter contour barrel heats up. I take other rifles to the range to shoot while I waiting for my barrels to cool. .22's and .223 or .556's are great cost effective rounds for practicing your marksmanship while you're waiting for you primary weapon to cool. 200 yard shots with a .22 are a blast.

Just my .02 good luck
    Last edited by Martino1; 06-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    tonytoshiba likes this.

Conditions like wind will likely limit the ethical range quite a bit. For deer, you are basically trying to hit a 12 inch diameter circle or even smaller for an ethical kill shot. If you are very good at reading wind and using a ballistics app on your phone, you might pull off a 600 yard shot most of the time. But mis-estimating the wind by even 1 mile per hour makes a difference of nearly 3 inches at that range. Really top F class competitors with high end equipment still miss the 3 inch ten ring at 600 yards enough to make it a competition, and they have $750 wind meters on 15 foot poles to measure wind above the ground at the average height the projectile travels during its arc, and $3000 scopes with good glass for seeing wind cues downrange and reading mirage. Even if you are an experienced hunter who can shoot tight groups, click for elevation, and hold for windage, I’d recommend staying inside of 200 yards with your equipment, and maybe stretching it out to 300 only in very calm conditions and only if you’ve proven to yourself you can consistently shoot that tight a group on target at that range.
    tonytoshiba likes this.

If you're asking, 100 yards.

Ads