Choosing a magnum cartridge

Choosing a magnum cartridge

This is a discussion on Choosing a magnum cartridge within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Okay. I am starting to get magnum fever and really only because it's the unneccessary missing gap in my safe. I primarily hunt and shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Choosing a magnum cartridge

Okay. I am starting to get magnum fever and really only because it's the unneccessary missing gap in my safe. I primarily hunt and shoot a lot with a 308 but came from 30-06 and 270 to which I've had a lot of time on both, as well.

My range is 100 yards and gets a lot of time, but I do have access to 1500 yards, which I'll probably go to once every 40 years. I'm 36. I have not been.

I'm an easterner, but I'm planning on heading out west this year for an otc elk tag, maybe next. Though I know my 308s are up for the job, I figured it's another excuse to buy a magnum rifle and possibly a better cartridge for the job. It's also in anticipation that North Carolina will open elk season one day. By that time, my kids will be old and successful enough to buy me one or two or three.

I have in my head the 300 win, 300 wsm, 270 wsm, and 7 rem. But quite frankly, they all look very similar to me out to the distances that I know I can comfortably and confidently shoot-- 100 yards (lmao).

OR! Should I put money into a nice 6.5 and continue to hone shot placement? I know for certain a 6.5 can take an elk.

So. What do?
    Last edited by CrabStickNori; 08-27-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Since you're a hunter, I'm pretty sure you won't press your luck and take the game out of your comfort zone. Don't want to shoot a game outside of 300 myself.

Since we got that cleared, I believe you already have rifles for an elk. 308, 06, and 270, they all will work within the range you are planning.

Now, if this is an excuse for a new rifle for real, let's decide if what will you do when not in use of hunting. If this new rifle will be for hunting purpose mostly, then 7 Rem Mag should be nicely fit in to your collection. If you are planning to take the rifle to your 1500 yards range, then 300 WM should be your choice. However, a nice 6.5 will do you good, too. I do believe hunting for medium to large game with 6.5 CM got pretty popular last few years.
    Hidden Content

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.

Iím not a big fan of belted magnums because I like to load my ammo. If you look at a 7 Rem Mag and a 300WM. A 7RM is a necked down 300WM. After a number of 300WM reloads, I got a slight bulge in front of the belt. It was early in my reloading career and Al Gore hadnít invented the internet yet so resources like this forum were not available in the early 80ís. For whatever reason, I never could match the accuracy I got from Corlok 180ís with my reloads so gave up. Fast forward to today and Iíve got a gun closet that contains 2 300WM rifles that donít see any range time. I have 2, 308ís and 3, 6.5CMís. 6.5CMís are a pleasure to shoot IMO easier to load. Iím a heck of a lot better at reloading these days. My loads equal or surpass match grade factory accuracy in those two rounds. A 6.5 recoils a lot less and will get you out past the 308. The 6.5ís see the most trigger time followed by the 308ís.

FYI I have a Howa 1500 in 30-06 that is my if I fly to go hunting, I donít mind if It gets LOST in transit. Very accurate and only cost under $600.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you need a magnum take a look at the 300PRC. Will give you better performance than the 300WM and has no belt. A 7mm RM will work well also.

That said the 6.5 Creedmoor would also be a good option with less recoil and cost.

I like the 300 Win Mag long shooting. To me easy to load for and it was good out to 1,800 yards.

Take a look at 6.5 PRC too.

Hard to beat the tried and true .300 win mag.
    SatCong likes this.
    Bret Lawson

300 win mag all day
    SatCong likes this.

300wm is quite dated. There are better options now. PRC is very promising. I went with 7LRM which is ballistically superior to the 300wm and easier to load for. I bought the LRM barrel before the 300 PRC was released or I might have gone that route.

If you want advice from someone who has extensively shot most every magnum cartridge available, then ask orkan on the gunhive forums.
    Martino1 likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Christiansnips View Post
    300 win mag all day
    I'm with you, a very good round and easy to load for. If you go with the 300 Win Mag, get a 26'' barrel.
    Last edited by SatCong; 09-07-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads