8mm Load Request

8mm Load Request

This is a discussion on 8mm Load Request within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm about to buy my first reloading set up this week and will be reloading for my 8mm Mauser a Yugo m48. I wanted to ...

8mm Load Request

I'm about to buy my first reloading set up this week and will be reloading for my 8mm Mauser a Yugo m48. I wanted to know a load for shooting out to 1000 to 1100 yards. I know the germans in ww2 had such loads but I'm having a hard time finding anything concrete as to how they loaded their rounds. Any help would be nice, I know 8mm isn't the best choice for a long-range cartridge but I love its history and the guns that use it. Thank you for your help. Darza.

Darza44 the 8x57js is a really fun round to reload and shoot out of my Yugoslav M48, for long rang target work there’s only a few Bullet’s that available that can be used for that application. Hornady makes a 198 Gr BTHP, and Sierra makes a 200 Gr BTHP, which is suppose to be a very close copy of what the Germans used back in WWII. Also Hornady makes a 196 Gr BT Soft Point for hunting, maybe you can work up load with that as a alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by hard nose street cop View Post
    Darza44 the 8x57js is a really fun round to reload and shoot out of my Yugoslav M48, for long rang target work there’s only a few Bullet’s that available that can be used for that application. Hornady makes a 198 Gr BTHP, and Sierra makes a 200 Gr BTHP, which is suppose to be a very close copy of what the Germans used back in WWII. Also Hornady makes a 196 Gr BT Soft Point for hunting, maybe you can work up load with that as a alternative.
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the input. Again I'm new to the whole reloading thing. What brand/type of powder would work best and how much? I know its a grey area question but I'd like a rough idea of where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Darza44 View Post
    Thank you for the input. Again I'm new to the whole reloading thing. What brand/type of powder would work best and how much? I know its a grey area question but I'd like a rough idea of where to start.
    You might consider N540, RE15 or even H4350. As to how much . . . you'll need to do some load development and a good starting point to be safe will be around 10% below max recommended charge from the powder makers charts. For example: Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide or https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    Last edited by straightshooter1; 01-27-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Ads