Starting 167gr. Scenar/Varget loads?

This is a discussion on Starting 167gr. Scenar/Varget loads? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Howdy! My cousin just recently purchased a whole set of reloading gear, and he chose to go with the 167 Scenars for his .308, in ...

Howdy! My cousin just recently purchased a whole set of reloading gear, and he chose to go with the 167 Scenars for his .308, in comparison to the 155gr Scenars. With his 1 in 10 twist I think this is a fine idea.

However, the only problem is with the huge number of 155gr. loads I can't find hardly ANY proven 167gr Scenar loads (starting or winning loads). He'll be using Varget with CCI BR2s, we've both looked about all over the web, but we can't seem to find him a solid load with these components.

So, I would much appreciate a proven load or a starting load with those components (167 non-moly Scenars, CCI BR2s, and Varget- FGGM Brass...). Please also mention if a load is a starting load (-10%) or a proven load that we can restart (subtract our 10% from).

The rifle is a 26" BBL Savage LE2 .308 with JP Muzzle BreakThanks much foe the help all! Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Try www.reloadersnest.com There are a few loads for Scenar 167 grain bullets there.

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff! I had checked that website, unfortunately they don't have any loads with Varget.

I'm hesistant to take a stab, although I'd assume a similar SD/BC 168gr. would be a logical starting place I'm not about to risk estimates as we all (mostly) know that assumptions in this world make more than just a derrier of ourselves....
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Well I,m not sure how the scenars compare to smk,s but I use 42.5 grs varget with the same components you state,and have went to 45.3 but like the 42.5 load better, these are 168 smk and nosler and hornady just my .03$ worth

We're thinking of starting about 41.0gr and working up in .2-.3 increments should be safe. Thanks for the $0.03 though, everything helps! Cheers.
    Sir Winston Churchill

I'm shooting a savage 10fp le2 26" barrell with 1 in 10 twist. Load is as follows -

Lapua Brass
    44 GR Varget
    167 Scenar
    CCI Primers
    10 thou of the lands

This load is very accurate in my savage but remember this is a load I have worked up in my rifle so treat as advisory only. I believe the max load according to Hodgdon is 46 grains (compression load) with Varget.
    Violence is the sign of a defeated mind!

Ah perfect! That's his rifle and all the exact same components, save the brass which is the FGGM. Regardless, probably end up starting at 40.5gr or so then, and roll from there. Thanks much, my cousin and I both really appreciate it! Cheers!
    Sir Winston Churchill

I use 42.5 grains of Varget in my match load using Nolser Comp 168's and Winchester brass and Fed 210 primers for my FN. It is around 2600 fps.
    Roses are red, my locktite is blue, without any ammo, what am I to do?

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Ads