WTB: Remington 700 in .243 Win. - Page 2

WTB: Remington 700 in .243 Win.

This is a discussion on WTB: Remington 700 in .243 Win. within the Classifieds - Rifles forums, part of the Classifieds category; . Thanks Sergeant! Originally Posted by gsmithplm IF you do want to go modern, then a Rem 700 in .260 might be worth a look. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Sergeant!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    IF you do want to go modern, then a Rem 700 in .260 might be worth a look. A little more recoil than a .243 but not so much as a .308 and excellent ballistics as well as longer barrel life.
    Man, you guys put a guy through his paces.
    So... I'm asking myself, "Did I overlook something?" "Why am I looking for something in .243 and not .260???"
    Because I thought I had cyphered this all out pretty thoroughly!

But it's good to have a hard stone to sharpen your knife against.

So I went back through all my research documents, and "Ah-so, Grasshopper".
    For right or wrong, this was my logic.

As I set out to rectify my "lack of rifles" status, and, in particular, trying to move into "long range shooting",
    I decided that I had ONE, CLEAR, TOP PARAMETER, a SINE QUA NON, and that was...

I wanted this rifle, or these rifles (as I see that there must needs be several), to be chambered for UBIQUITOUS rounds.
    I want to be able to walk down the street and just trip over ammunition for these rifles. (...well not literally, but you get my drift)
    If times get hard and supply chains get fragile, I still want to be able to feed my rifles.
    (plus it doesn't hurt that I think there's a bit of a corollary that: more ubiquitous = less expensive, and vice versa)

So, I started with .30-06 and .308
    I mean this stuff is everywhere right? Military, sporting. Just piles of it stacked up on shelves and in closets across the country, don't you reckon?

And then, looking for something a little more "old-shoulder friendly" to compliment those first two,
    I. s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d. a point and thought I'd get something in .243
    It's not really just "everywhere" like the .30-06 and .308, but I. t-h-i-n-k. it is, and may continue to be, a reasonably prevalent round. (Yes? Comments?)

Whereas, even though I was really impressed with the .260 ballistically, it seemed both scarce and expen$ive on the marketplace.
    And I think I had similar thoughts about the 7mm-08, fine round but a little scarce on the marketplace.

Oh, and P.S./btw... all this is through the eyes of a NON-bullet-loader-reloader, which maybe I should have mentioned earlier.

I appreciate the back and forth.
    Every decision in this little endeavour of ours... well, I'll tangent over here and pay respects to my father with a favorite little witticism of his:

"As the monkey said when he peed on the cash register, 'This is going to run into some money.' "

So, every question, challenge, suggestion from you folks might potentially save me some money (from a not fully thought out, regretted decision).

So thanks, all.

JamesD

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Whereas, even though I was really impressed with the .260 ballistically, it seemed both scarce and expen$ive on the marketplace.
    As a reloader, I consider the cost of all factory ammunition to be rather expensive, so I have to admit this is not something that comes into play in my mind. But you are quite correct to be thinking of it - unless that is we can suck you into reloading (we are crafty devils after all).

The only reason I brought it up is that it is a caliber that is sometimes overlooked and it has much to be said for it. But, that aside, I have shot a .243 before and it is probably the most shoulder friendly long range round I have tested.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    As a reloader, I consider the cost of all factory ammunition to be rather expensive, so I have to admit this is not something that comes into play in my mind. But you are quite correct to be thinking of it - unless that is we can suck you into reloading (we are crafty devils after all).

The only reason I brought it up is that it is a caliber that is sometimes overlooked and it has much to be said for it. But, that aside, I have shot a .243 before and it is probably the most shoulder friendly long range round I have tested.
    Well sir, you know, the world can get VERY interesting sometimes.
    I was talking with a fellow local to me here just a couple of hours ago (doing a little business in a Home Depot parking lot )
    And got to talking about reloading.
    And I told him I KNEW it was the thing to do, but we ARE talking about something that will punish fools or the careless or the poorly trained.
    And I had never wanted to start loading powder that I was going to ignite near my face with only some book reading as my guide.
    And he said "Man, I'll work with you! I can teach you what I know and get you started doing it right!"

So... if I've got a guide, a flesh and blood person to do show and tell with maybe, I may be on the road to reloading!
    Just as of today!

And you say there's a place here to request "Advice For A New Reloader"?

JamesD

P.S. so maybe a .260 could be in my future yet someday

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    James, but for your comment, you seem like a reading fellow.

I have a book I'd lke you to order:

"Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker

--if there were ever a book written to allow a Joe off the street to walk into a loading shop and safely work up accurate loads for his rifle, this is it. It is NOT a "recipe book" or load 'manual' such as those produced by all the component companies. Rather, it is a pictorial and verbose instructional tome on the most modern HOW's and WHY's of what we all do to make our rifles shoot to our potential, and sometimes even their own.
    --your man may even learn a thing or two...or he may not....but a second opinion with small grenades in front of your face is not a bad thing, in my book.

You can order it from the 'man hisself' right here: Zediker Publishing

I've never even bought a "Load Manual," mostly because I don't need to do so, and I've never had reason to blame my ammo for a poor performance on my part.

I know how to listen to a rifle and give it what it wants...not just pound my head on a manual and wonder why I keep blowing primers. You should as well.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    James, but for your comment, you seem like a reading fellow.{A scholar I am.}

I have a book I'd lke you to order:

"Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker

--if there were ever a book written to allow a Joe off the street to walk into a loading shop and safely work up accurate loads for his rifle, this is it. It is NOT a "recipe book" or load 'manual' such as those produced by all the component companies. Rather, it is a pictorial{√} and verbose{√√} instructional tome{√√√} on the most modern HOW's and WHY's of what we all do to make our rifles shoot to our potential, and sometimes even their own.
    --your man may even learn a thing or two...or he may not....but a second opinion with small grenades {eek!} in front of your face is not a bad thing, in my book. {Amen and Amen}

You can order it from the 'man hisself' right here: Zediker Publishing
    { Vidi, Acti, Perfici [with apologies to J. Caesar] }
    { i.e., "I saw, I clicked, I ordered." ...or sumthin' like that, and at 2 o'clock in the morning, ain't this world crazy! }

I've never even bought a "Load Manual," mostly because I don't need to do so, and I've never had reason to blame my ammo for a poor performance on my part.

I know how to listen to a rifle and give it what it wants...not just pound my head on a manual and wonder why I keep blowing primers. You should as well. {Sounds like a reach, but I'll get started on it.}

-Nate
    James
    Last edited by JamesD; 01-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Hey fellas, look what I found!

Model 700 in .243
    Looks like one of these that just spent it's life in someone's safe.

Just got it, haven't had a chance to shoot it (note to Jim: 1-buy .243 ammo, 2-learn to reload)

Got a question about it:
    The date code on the barrel says "XO" which decodes as EITHER December of 1977 or December of 1994.
    Apparently the only way to know is to know when certain models came and went, or certain features changed, etc., or which decade it just LOOKS like it belongs to.
    Short of holding a seance with the rifle, anybody know what aspects of this rifle would tell me when it was made?

And aside from this particular rifle, what about figuring out Remington date codes on rifle after rifle in general?
    Is there a big Remington "bible" which tracks model and feature changes and such... like Doug Murray's great Savage book or the BIG S&W book by Supica and Nahas?

JamesD

P.S. the bore "looks" clean, shiny, and sharp edged; we'll see how she shoots directly

Banned
    Call remington and ask them. I got info on my Model 11 and an old 870 Wingmaster like that. Model 11 mas manufactured in 1914, and the 870 was manufactured in 1973, easy day.

SW Ohio when I am not on my motorcycle riding north
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post

Got to love the look of that rifle....They are so pretty. Dad has two (30.06 and 7mm Mag) Both dang pretty with the wood stocks.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by GMinor View Post
    Call remington and ask them. I got info on my Model 11 and an old 870 Wingmaster like that. Model 11 mas manufactured in 1914, and the 870 was manufactured in 1973, easy day.
    10-4 Thanks GMinor.
    JamesD
    P.S. One of my favorite keys!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonL1973 View Post

Got to love the look of that rifle....They are so pretty. Dad has two (30.06 and 7mm Mag) Both dang pretty with the wood stocks.

Congrats!
    Thanks Jason.
    Nickel, hard chromed, stainless, camo, they can all be great.
    But something about blued steel and wood, especially from the past, that seems to sit especially well with this old man.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Jamesd

Last edited by JamesD; 01-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Banned
    Killer setup for the picture. It makes the photo interesting and highlights the elegance/class of the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads