Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

looking for 700 action or savage10/stevens 200

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Atlas 
#1 ·
looking to start a build. I would like a savage 10 or stevens 200 first (in.308) or remington 700 (.308) doesnt need to be full rifle (would actually rather not have to ship to an ffl). Also if anyone has any info on any stock that could use a FAL magazine please let me know.

#2 ·
any action will have to go through an ffl whether it is a whole gun or just an action. The action is the serialized part of the rifle and is considered the gun. everything else can ship straight to you.

As far as a source for an action, your best bet is to just buy a rem 700 at china(wal)-mart. They run about the same price as just buying an action and you can sell off everything that you don't need. If you are going to install an new barrel, then any .308 bolt face will work including 308, 243, 7mm-08, 260, and a few others. If you don't mind dealing with a long action than your options open up even more. a 30-06 or 270 can be rebarreled to a 308 long action. Almost all 700 actions are the same except for the finish (which doesn't matter if you are rebarreling) and stainless or not. Just keep in mind that it takes a competent gun smith to rebarrel a rem 700. That is not a task to try at home for the first timer.

Calibers also hold true for the savage/stevens. A 110 with 308 bolt face will also make a 308 with a rebarrel. The difference between remington and savage is that the average handy man can rebarrel a savage with the purchase of about $100 worth of tools.

#3 ·
I have seen all of that information other than the action is the FFL item. for some reason I thought that it had to have a trigger installed to make it that way. I do not have a problem having a smith install the barrel. I will probably have the true the action at the same time. however I do like the fact that you can DIY a savage action. I do want a short action though.

#6 ·
Good graduation present!

Well I can't help you with the DBM, but I do have a trued Stevens 200 and it's Walther .308 barrel I might consider moving.

I had Mark Lammers (LOSOK) true the action, bead blast, and then parkerize it for a good base for coatings.

The barrel is of Walther's proprietary stainless steel, 10-twist, recessed crown, and 24" Varmint Contour. It's a good shooter...I've gone under half MOA at over 400 yards with M118LR and a few other match loads using the 190 Sierra, and the 175 Sierra. Oddly, it also shot Hornady's 110 VMAX really well...go figure.

Anyhow, if you're interested, let me know, and we can talk more via PM or a phone call.

-Nate

#8 ·
Atlas - I have a Stevens 200, but the caliber is 22-250. Not a .308, but darn close. No problem for a highstepper like you!!!!

Anyway, if you want it, send me a check for $315, an FFL to send it to and I'll pay the shipping to your FFL.

One small thing.....I've somehow misplaced one of the action screws. By the way, this is a new gun. I was going to build a .260 with it, but found something I liked better. Let me know!

#9 ·
I have a brand new Rem700 SPS Varmint 26" in 308 that I'll sell you for $400, (way below my cost) just so your brother doesn't have to know the pain of owning a Savage centerfire. Another $125 and I'll put a Timney 510 trigger in it. Then we can get with Travis @ TS Customs and find a good entry level stock for it, and he can bed it and stick some PTG bottom metal in there. Can cut to whatever length you want and thread as well. Your brother will want for nothing.

All I ask in return is a picture of the look on his face when you give it to him. :)

#10 ·
Animalspooker. thank you for the offer I'll have to look into what those sell for and what it takes to convert 22-250 to 308

Orkan! that sounds amazing. I would like to build the rifle myself with my brother for the experience. however i will send you a PM to talk a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.