Pillar bedding instructions - Page 2

Pillar bedding instructions

This is a discussion on Pillar bedding instructions within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by LongRifles Ask and you shall receive. http://lhndesign.com/dev/cdixon/index.html (site is up but still under construction) I'll be kicking this off by spring of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRifles
    Ask and you shall receive.

http://lhndesign.com/dev/cdixon/index.html (site is up but still under construction)

I'll be kicking this off by spring of 2009.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Chad Dixon
    Gunmaker
    LongRifles, Inc. (coming soon)
    Wow, Chad, looks like you are going to be doing some excellent custom work. Bookmarked your website.
    Skunk #5893

Thanks.

Little off topic, but WTH. . . :twisted:

I started in this stuff 8 years ago. Was hired just as a machinist for a gun shop that built Olympic Target rifles. 6 months later I was the floor manager there, just sorta happened that way.

I left in 2003 when I accepted a production management position with Nesika Bay Precision and Dakota Arms. Left them in 2006 to come to Iraq working for the State Dept. at the US Embassy here in Baghdad as a security contractor.

That chapter is coming to the home stretch and now I'm fixin to get back to what I really want to do.

Make guns.

The rifles themselves aren't really that remarkable. I don't have any super secret NASA tricks that are stored in a bunker somewhere. It's just good parts, a little machine work, and some attention to detail.

I use CNC equipment as much as possible because I'm an inherently lazy person by nature. I'd much rather sit in front a computer only once and write a program than can run over and over instead of being chained to a bench all day with a file and a dremel tool. I don't have the patience for that.

I want the rifles I build to have an identity and character that shooters will notice.

I don't claim to be better or worse than anyone else, but I will say the guns work pretty well and they do look a bit different than what some folks are used to seeing.

(Kyle Leibertrau, 2007 World Palma Champion, Junior Division, US TEAM)

Thanks for the interest and kind words.

If anyone ever has any additional questions, I can be reached at:

[email protected]

~C

Chad Dixon
    Gunmaker, BFFOC Instructor
    LongRifles, Inc. (coming soon)

Thems some beautiful rifles Chad.
    Education, not Legislation

Savage MKII FSS, BSA sweet 22
    Remington 511 Scoremaster, irons
    Remington 788 in 243, 4-8x cheapo

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

...wtf? bot much?
    "If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." -Edward Abbey

Re: Pillar bedding instructions

This is the best bedding thread I've come across and I researched a lot.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 022&page=1

Sorry it came from the "Other Side" of the tracks

Re: Pillar bedding instructions

+1 to Roscoe's how-to, I've used it and am very happy with the results. I also agree with his stance on not wrapping the action and not bedding a barrel pad, which seem to be pretty common practices elsewhere.

Bumping this old thread...

Who has done this? How hard is it really? It looks simple, I can bondo, fiberglass, patch etc so the concept is there. I got a Boyds Varmint thumb hole on the way and want to do this. Here's some more questions that I really would like answered.

1. I've seen people use JB weld...should I fork over the cash for the Devcon or would the JB weld work as as good?
    2. Also seen people use brass fittings for pillars and heard of using old aluminum arrows. Is there a place I can get pillars from or would one of those home remedy items work?
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

For wood, I'd go with Devcon or Brownell's Acraglass bedding material. Brownell's sells pillars too. Get the adjustable type.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Have you used the Acraglas? The kit says its a two gun kit. My buddy has a Mosin and Boyds stock that needs bedding too, so just want to make sure we get enough.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Have you used the Acraglas? The kit says its a two gun kit. My buddy has a Mosin and Boyds stock that needs bedding too, so just want to make sure we get enough.
    Yes, I've used Acraglas, but I don't recall if there was enough materials for 2 rifles, but that was about 10 years ago. Call Brownell's and ask them. I wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't used it before.

Don't forget the pillars.
    Last edited by cheaptrick; 09-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads