Rem 700 trigger replaced with Timney but have one issue

This is a discussion on Rem 700 trigger replaced with Timney but have one issue within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Yesterday I replaced the factory Remington 700 ADL trigger on my .300 WM with a Timney - pretty simple. However, I've noticed that after firing ...

Yesterday I replaced the factory Remington 700 ADL trigger on my .300 WM with a Timney - pretty simple.

However, I've noticed that after firing (releasing the firing pin) the bolt feels like it's binding a bit on the bolt lift only- it's more snug. Then I recock and can work the bolt over and over again without the binding feeling, until I fire and then the same binding issue occurs until it's recocked.

This is with the Barrelled action both in and out of the stock. I have torqued the action screws to 45 in lbs .

Any ideas?
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

The Remington 700 firing pin cocks on bolt opening, the binding you're feeling is the firing pin being pulled back by the cam action of a cut on the bottom of the bolt. If you look on the bootom of the rear of your bolt, you'll see an angled cut that wraps around the bottom of your bolt.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, if it does not, I can get pictures. I think this is what's going on with your gun, if it is then there is no problem with your rifle.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by monteboy84
    The Remington 700 firing pin :-) on bolt opening, the binding you're feeling is the firing pin being pulled back by the cam action of a cut on the bottom of the bolt. If you look on the bootom of the rear of your bolt, you'll see an angled cut that wraps around the bottom of your bolt.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, if it does not, I can get pictures. I think this is what's going on with your gun, if it is then there is no problem with your rifle.

-matt
    Yes I understand what you're saying. With time with the new trigger and general wear with it be easier to lift with less pressure? It didn't have this much pressure with the factory trigger installed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Did you adjust the timney trigger? if si it sounds like the overtravel screw is too tight, had the same problem with a timney trigger. after readjusting the over travel solved the problem . it was explained to me that timney likes more overtravel than some. hope this helps.
    just my thoughts.
    opps forgot, if after releasing the firing pin try pulling the trigger and open the bolt while holding the trigger back if the binding stops it probably is the overtravel, just a quick way to test.

I'd go with Marvin's suggestion, the bolt lift should technically be the same from one trigger to another.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin_lr30
    Did you adjust the timney trigger? if si it sounds like the overtravel screw is too tight, had the same problem with a timney trigger. after readjusting the over travel solved the problem . it was explained to me that timney likes more overtravel than some. hope this helps.
    just my thoughts.
    opps forgot, if after releasing the firing pin try pulling the trigger and open the bolt while holding the trigger back if the binding stops it probably is the overtravel, just a quick way to test.
    Marvin,

I only adjusted the pull weight down about 8 oz to 2.5 lbs. I did the test you suggested above and its still got the binding pressure on the bolt lift. I might just take this trigger out and put the original back in and test again. It's simple enough. Albeit odd behavior at this point.

I still might try to adjust the overtravel a bit to see if I can remove the binding I'm feeling.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Bob

Update:

Adjusted the overtravel without any change in the bolt lift binding. I also noticed that I couldn't work the bolt with the safety on - a feature supposed to be part of this trigger.

I spoke with Timney - the trigger is defective :cry: . Oh well I'll return it for a refund.

I was able to safely adjust the original Rem trigger to the 2 lbs 3 oz I wanted without the binding. So I'm happy at this point. BTW this is an older Rem trigger.

Thanks for all of the input trying to trouble shoot the problems I was having.

Bob

Ads