All about Duracoat

All about Duracoat

This is a discussion on All about Duracoat within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am getting closer and closer to wanting to duracoat every piece of equipment I own, and as I research about all the different coatings ...

All about Duracoat

I am getting closer and closer to wanting to duracoat every piece of equipment I own, and as I research about all the different coatings and their benefits and negatives I can't help but wonder why we do not have a discussion thread on duracoat. We have a sticky on it's application, but how about one regarding everything. The tidbits of valuable information we all look to glean off each other. For something as seemingly cheap but durable as duracoat, i'd love to become proficient with it.

A little self serving, but I know I'm not the only one that would like some first hand chimes from individuals who have some experience with duracoat. I find in my life that it's the little things that nobody thinks to mention that tend to cause the most frustration for beginner's.

I'm not even quite sure how to ask all the questions which I have in my head. I'll shoot out a couple, with a few more to follow i'm sure.

What are everybody's opinions on airbrush application. Any particular airbrushes one would recommend?

I've also never used an airbrush. Is there anything that I could use in place of duracoat that would be cheaper practice medium?

Would duracoat work well to coat a knife with? I have a sea ravaged CRKT ABC operators which is in need of a re-freshening.

What are some other things people have duracoated. Knives was really my only thing I was curious about, but things like car parts or even an old watch band would be awesome to put an eye catching color arrangement.

Other than that, just feel free to offer advice and opinions. My end goal will be to first coat my old remington 870 express with duracoat, and then when I am comfortable with it my rifle.

Thanks for the help, and if anybody else has had questions about duracoat hankering around in the back of their minds, feel free to add to the list. There are a ton of people on this site and i'm sure somebody will have had the same exact question at one point in time. Thanks again. Buds.

Re: All about Duracoat

This interests me as well. You could have a picture thread, a frequently asked question thread, and a how to thread.

I have no experience with this stuff, but am interested.
    Never enough...

There might be some good info at the manufacturer's site.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

I noted they have a shake and spray kit as well as airbrush kits. For small jobs or just one or two jobs, it might work great. But if you are really getting the urge to 'duracoat every piece of equipment you own' wouldn't you want to get the airbrush kit and start practicing with it right away?

I've not used it, but I would like to do one or two rifles, but I might start with the shake and spray. Good idea for a thread, BTW!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

There are a ton of Duracoat YouTube vids, too. I am not experienced enough to recommend any, but browse around there are a ton of them.

Well, here's one - found $4 Harbor Freight airbrushes!

Alright to further the questions.

Would a full size hvlp cause any issues when only using a few ounces of duracoat.

Why wouldn't you want the self lubricating version with a matte additive. Seems win win like birdsongs.

Any ideas for a knife color combo for my Crkt ABC operator dive knife. I know it's small but it something that I can't really ruin. I'm gonna play around on some other things first before I get to my rifle

I've read quite a few articles on how to apply duracoat. It's the little things that people learn after years and years of experience that I'm looking for. It very well just maybe stuff I need to learn the hard way. But thanks for the ideas and thoughts.

As if my poor decision melon wasn't already malfunctioning,I'm starting to get reports of cerakote airdrive being a viable option. Harder with steeper learning curve but to be able to pour the paint back into its jar is worth it in bulk pricing. Night all. Confused007

Ads