Home made bullet concentricity gauge

This is a discussion on Home made bullet concentricity gauge within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; This is my home made bullet concentricity gauge. Total expense out of pocket...$1.49 for spring... Works great....

This is my home made bullet concentricity gauge. Total expense out of pocket...$1.49 for spring... Works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have a more detail discription of it

Started out with a piece of 5/32 inch plate steel for the base. Took a piece of 2" solid steel round stock and cut 2 lengths 1 3/4 inch long. Set each one up
    in my lathe and trued the ends square. Then bored a hole in the center of each one 5/8 dia. Then took two 2 1/2 inch lengths of 3/4 inch brass solid stock
    and turned 2 inches of each one down to 5/8+ so they would fit the holes in the 2" steel pieces with as little slop as I could and still have them be able to move
    freely. The piece that the base of the bullet sits in I drilled the steel and taped the hole for a set screw to be able to lock it in place. The bullet end piece of
    brass I bored to fit a small bearing I had laying around with a 1/4 inch I.D. The .30 cal. bullets will go into the bearing without going through. That piece of brass
    has the spring and the small black handle. To put a bullet in I grab the handle and pull the piece brass back and then let the spring push it back against the
    oglive of the bullet The piece of brass that the base of the bullet sits in just has a recess for the end of the case to sit into that lets the case spin. The
    sliding bracket with the T handle screw has a piece of hardwood inset into the end of the screw and it is used to push against the neck of the case to true a bullet that
    has runout. I try to get them within a half thousandth of runout. A dial indicator with a magnetic base. and your in business. I hope I explained it
    so you can understand, If you have questions just let me know and I will try to answer them. (P.S.) The two pieces of 2" round steel are
    welded to the base. When I welded them I used a piece of 5/8 round stock through the two pieces to keep them square to each other.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 10-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

what are you using for your datum? the od of the base or the primer face?

The base of the case fits into a recess in the piece of brass with .001- clearance. Just enough clearance to let the case turn.

Im new to precision reloading... Are you truing the bullet od to the od of the case or perpendicular to the base (primer face)

To explain it as simply as I can. The idea is to make sure the bullet is in the case squarely so it gets a straight and square start into the rifling. I have not only used it
    for reloads, but also on new factory ammo. You would be surprised at how much run out there is in some factory ammo.

It makes sense.. I work all day with single digit micron tolerances .. maybe im just over thinking it.

Ads