New member and a question

This is a discussion on New member and a question within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; hi there. just found the site recently, and it seems awesome so far. i just picked up a howa 1500 in .308, which is topped ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi there. just found the site recently, and it seems awesome so far.

i just picked up a howa 1500 in .308, which is topped by a tasco world class 36x50 scope.

the rifle was bore sighted when i received it, and i have now put a few boxes of ammo through it.

the issue i have is that when first attempting to zero the rifle at 100 yds, i discovered that the vertical adjustment on the scope was maxed out, and it was still hitting about 1.5" low. there was already some cheap brass shim stock under the rear base, and this showed why.

my issue is this: it already has a weaver #36 (or 35, forget which) rear base, which is what the weaver site recommends, but the rear of the scope is too low, since the action behind the bolt is not as tall as in front.
    i have made a shim, and now have more than enough adjustment, but i'm concerned about how stable and solid it will be considering that it's relatively narrow and tall, and the bottom of the base is curved.

i've found a $65 dollar one piece base specifically for the howa on another website, but was wondering if anyone knew of another rear base i can get that is the correct height, or has any other better suggestions?

other than that i love the rifle, it handles and shoots great, and i'm planning on some further upgrades for the future hopefully.

glad to be on the site, and thanks in advance for any help!

I would say look at TPS. They make good stuff and sell for reasonable prices. Also I might look at another scope. Tacso isn't exactly top notch, but hey if it works for you and you like it I say stick with it.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

BIG plus 1 on TPS!!

This is a good thread a may help you some.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.a ... ID=26&PR=3
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

what about ken farrell? that is who makes the one piece cnc mount i found on gunbroker.com. looks like a pretty nice mount. any idea about his quality?

here's a link: http://www.kenfarrell.com/HOWA-1500-1-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead302
    what about ken farrell? that is who makes the one piece cnc mount i found on gunbroker.com. looks like a pretty nice mount. any idea about his quality?

here's a link: http://www.kenfarrell.com/HOWA-1500-1-0.html
    Very good quality!!
    Can't go wrong with Farrell gear.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Welcome to SC. I am sure you will find it to be a very helpful place if used correct.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

A story on Tasco scopes.I had an AR 15 varminter type rifle that I installed an 8-32x44 Tasco World Class target scope on.Both were new at the time. I went to the range to sight it in.I went through 50 rounds or more bnefore I gave up.The best group I could get out of it was around 3" at 100 yards.Needless to say, it was very disappointing.I figured the rifle I'd spent so much money on was a peice of crap.numerous time I'd had offers to take the rifle off my hands, but always figured I'd buy another barrel.Around 5 years later, I decided to get another barrel , and because the 8-32x scope was a bit much for the new plans I'd had for actually varmint hunting instead of paper punching, I decided the WC Tasco was a bit to narrow of field for the new purpose.I thought I'd do things as I could afford them, so I bought a Mueller Tactical 4-16x50 scope first, being the cheaper of the two items.When it got there, I couldn't get over how much clearer it was than the Tasco I'd been using.I really wanted to see how the new scope looked on the rifle, so I mounted it. Well, one thing led to another, and pretty soon I was sighting it in on the range.I couldn't beleive my eyes! I was grouping under minute of angle.I never bothered to order a barrel.After a trigger change, and tightening the upper against the lower reciever, I can now group around a half inch or less.

Do I think all Tascos are junk? No, I have older Japanese Tascos that work fairly well.But I do think that they are hit-and-miss, literally, and I have purchased one around 4 years ago that bent to the point of ruining the scope by tightening the rings with the supplied allen wrench.I'd say go with the Mueller, or Millett , or Burris Fullfield, or even Pentax Gameseeker, on a rifle that you wish to shoot precision with, under a budget.You get what you pay for in glass, and I found out the hard way.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdorr
    Do I think all Tascos are junk? No, I have older Japanese Tascos that work fairly well.But I do think that they are hit-and-miss, literally, and I have purchased one around 4 years ago that bent to the point of ruining the scope by tightening the rings with the supplied allen wrench.I'd say go with the Mueller, or Millett , or Burris Fullfield, or even Pentax Gameseeker, on a rifle that you wish to shoot precision with, under a budget.You get what you pay for in glass, and I found out the hard way.

Jeff
    thanks for the info. so far this thing seems pretty nice, but the lack of adjustability makes it a pain in the ass getting on target at anything under 200 yards sometimes, and getting back on target is also annoying here and there.
    are there any adjustable scopes around that are this powerful or almost that don't completely break the bank?

Now don't get angry with me. But here's what you should do:

1. Remove that Tasco scope;
    2. Throw said scope downrange and use it as a target.
    3. Save up a few shekels and get a good scope. You can get a simple fixed 4 power Leupold for about 200 bucks. This scope is affordable, reliable and bright. And you will be able to trust its adjustments.

I'm sure that Leupold also makes nice mounts or rings for your rifle. Nice steel mounts, that is.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be facetious. You have a fine rifle that deserves a proper scope. Your most profound efforts will prove worthless betrayed by poor optics. In order to grow as a shooter, you need better glass.

A few years ago, I fired a friend's Savage .270. I liked the rifle, but it wore a very cheap BSA scope that was murky and treacherous. I kept nagging my friend to get a better scope. But he did not understand. But I understood why it was impossible to get that piece to group.

Mad.

are there any adjustable scopes around that are this powerful or almost that don't completely break the bank?

The trouble with target scopes,ones that are 25x on up,is a narrow feild of view at those higher ranges.If you shoot targets, it's not a problem.Finding varmints in a field is a different story.Mueller has a scope the refer to as the Eradicator www.muelleroptics.com that has 8- 25x magnification that might fit your budget.The big Tasco World Class is around $150, so if you put another $50 with that, it should get you one of these.A Nikon Buckmaster is around the same range, and far better glass than Tasco.If you shoot targets 100-200 yards away,the sort of magnification you have is a bit overkill. Try a 4-16 power scope and see if it isn't more useful and to your liking.Most sporting goods stores that sell scopes will let you look through a demo, so try one out. Sometimes less is more. My opinions, of course.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads