Gunslinger long range challenge ....

This is a discussion on Gunslinger long range challenge .... within the Foreign and Other forums, part of the Competitions and Training Opportunities category; It's come around again for anyone who might be down this way in April ...... http://www.gunslinger.net.nz/...

It's come around again for anyone who might be down this way in April ......

http://www.gunslinger.net.nz/

Re: Gunslinger long range challenge ....

G'day Kiwi

I just checked out the website. What an exciting (and practical) event! I think I would be feeling a bit over-awed but I guess after you've attended a few you start to get in the swim. In my next reincarnation I'll try to land in NZ and then I can own and shoot an SLR, as well as equip for and get into events like the one you refer to.

Good luck when the time comes (I assume you'll be in it big time!). Do post the pics of the action.

Regards

Davy
    'And then it was that I could see the power of God helped men if they would only trust Him."
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Thanks Davey ..... you could come over for one of the comps sometime and while you're here I'm sure a good blaze-up with an SLR wouldn't be too hard to organize.

We have a few Aussies come over to our service rifle shoot in Feb and they have a great time with the SLRs .... and a few other semis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Hi Kiwi

I have never visited New Zealand but I have never met anyone who went there and did not want to come back for seconds! Scenery for one thing, good people for another, and then the great shooting and great rifles. I would love to go over and try that marvellous long range rifle event, or just buy some ammo and have a go with the SLR - even cleaning it afterwards would be a pleasure (including the gas plug! ). Last time I fired an SLR I was a teenager - my first introduction to the .308/7.62NATO round. Great rifle; great cartridge! No teenager any more and too late now to emigrate to NZ :lol: Also I promised a little mate of mine I would never shove him into boarding kennels ever again . Be sure to post plenty of pics and info from the great event. I like the spirit of it. You hit or you miss; that's it. An exciting challenge. Also I guess you won't need the thermal underwear and the white smock this time!

Regards

Davy
    'And then it was that I could see the power of God helped men if they would only trust Him."
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Thanks Davey .... we are leaving Auckland Wednesday morning and driving down to Wellington, staying the night and crossing the strait to the South Island Thursday morning then a 7 hour run to the competition site just out of Lake Tekapo ...... can't wait! .... :mrgreen:

I'm shooting .338LM AI AWSM, .308 Robar SR60 in an AICS and I have a semi auto build of an L2A1 with a match barrel for a blaze-up at distance on the Sunday re-shoot after the main comp. I'm only shooting South African milsurp ammo in it though, no match or hand loads.

I will get some pictures to post here after Easter.

Good on you and thanks for keeping us in the loop, Kiwi. Wish you a great trip and good hits.

Glad to hear you will also be having a nice politically incorrect 'blaze up' with the L2A1. I was just thinking about my issue L1A1 the other night. I still remember it being taken abruptly out of my reluctant hands before I had enough time to say a proper goodbye. It was stuck into a rack in the armoury and I never saw it again - and I miss it like lost love....

So please fire five rounds rapid of those Sarth Efrickaan 7.62s for me (joh.nee.get.ya.gun!) in memory of a wonderful rifle whom I regarded as a dear friend :cry:

Look forward to plenty pics. Have a good one, bro!!!

Cheers

Davy

PS: Just got back from arranging membership of my local metallic silhouette club (sadly pistol only - I remember the sheer excitement of shooting the SLR in a falling plates competition: run up, down into the prone, pull back on that cocking leaver like you mean it, and let fly). Ah well...you go on and enjoy your shoot ... and those wonderful rifles that New Zealanders can own and Aussies can't. Don't worry about me...I'll be okay...I'll be fine...honestly.... :lol:
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Ever considered moving East Davey? (like two time zones) ..... I've got a couple of spare L1A1s you would be welcome to fondle and put some lead down range ....

We are off in 9 hours .... I'll get some pictures and also post one of the L2A1.

You'll hear from me next week .... Cheers.

Too old and too poor to start over unfortunately, Kiwi. I love Australia but I would be quite happy if we were annexed by the Land of the Long White Cloud However, in the long run, I am glad NZ is free to do its own thing without the influence of the massive political correctness that besets us here.

Anyway, 25 April coming up soon. Two little countries with a lot of shared history. From Gallipoli to Long Tan and beyond. I remember listening to the news of that epic firefight in the Long Tan rubber plantatioin back in 1966 (when I was still a kid). Years later, I read about the magnificent job the NZ forward observers did calling down artillery within metres of the Australian position. Marvellous profressionalism and cool calculation under fire. ANZAC revisited! There should be a movie about it. For sure, SLRs in the hands of brave men did some desperate work that day. Like the Garand, firing an SLR is like saluting history.

You'll be on your way (and then some) before you read this, but my best wishes to you for high scores and good fun.

Look forward to the pics and debriefing!

Regards and thanks for the update

Davy
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Well, it's all over and I/we did not do a well a last year (1st and 2nd) but we learned a lot! .........

1) We were not fully prepared with our ballistics due to running out of time to do final testing of our hand loads ..... this was our primary downfall.

2) I made the most basic mistake on a crucial stage of thinking I was at zero elevation when dialing up the solution (7.25 MOA) only to find I was at 10 MOA thinking it was zero (10 MOA per revolution) and therefore actually had 17.25 dialed and couldn't figure why I was not seeing strikes even if they were misses (and they most certainly were!) .... I was hitting over 3 meters high! .... :roll: ....... (note to self: CHECK YOU ARE ON ZERO!)

We were the last squad to shoot, two hours after the first squad started and by then the conditions had gone from light drizzle and no wind to sun up over the mountain we were shooting towards making it hard to see and wind gusting 12 to 15 MPH and swirling ..... not easy at all.

Still, a great time with a great bunch of like minded guys and I will be a far better prepared starter for the next one when it comes.

the last stuff-up was forgetting my camera but may be able o get some pics from other contestants in the next few weeks.

Hi Kiwi

Sorry to hear things didn't go as well as last year re the scores. When you don't get time for adequate preparation there is always a gamble. But even if all had been perfect at the start, this is the wonderful/terrible thing about shooting: no matter what level we are at, it remains a constant challenge. Also, for sure, you can't diagnose a problem unless you first suspect it. So don't feel too bad about that zero error.

Hope to see to some pics when your get 'em. I wonder when and if we will ever get bullet-cam! Now that would be something to behold.

Regards in the meantime

Davy
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Ads