To build or not to build??

This is a discussion on To build or not to build?? within the Gunsmithing forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Boredom is setting in as far as my shooting is concerned. Retirement allows time to pursue those things you couldn't before. I wrote in an ...

Boredom is setting in as far as my shooting is concerned. Retirement allows time to pursue those things you couldn't before. I wrote in an earlier post that I had been to the gun store and not found anything that I just couldn't live without. The time comes when you think you have reached the limits of the manufacturers' offerings. The urge for a custom rifle looms heavily over my head. In the past I built many custom guns from 08 Mauser, 03 Springfield, and my favorite, the 1917 Enfield actions. With all the vendors out there offering about anything you could want, why dust off the machine shop? After shopping custom actions, barrels, stocks/chasis, and triggers, I think I can build a custom rifle to my taste for a good bit less than complete custom rifles. Any input on this? And yes, I am capable of building a rifle from scratch, barrel blank, raw action, blank wood stock and the rest. I have just asked myself why bother when so many components are available. My main joy now is shooting, not smiting.

In any profession there are the best and then there are the rest. If you could build better individual components than the top rated manufacturers out there then go for it but be honest about your ability to do so. There are tricks that are learned over years of production experience, possessing all of these skills would make you a very truly unique individual.

I’ll draw a parallel with reloading my rounds for my custom rifles. I buy Berger or Sierra bullets my powder and primers simply because I can’t do better than they can. I use a Chargemaster as a powder throw and check measurement with a bar scale. At the end of the day, I enjoy shooting and honing proficiency of shooting in different positions that mimic hunting scenarios much more than loading the rounds that feed the habit. If I felt I could afford to pay someone to do my loads and I could get my level of attention, experience the same precision in loaded rounds AND I could afford to shoot as much as I do, I probably would would go that route. I don’t enjoy reloading nearly as much as shooting, I consider loading a means to an end. In your situation, consider whether you will enjoy the build process or is it an means to an end bounded by simple economics. It would truly be something if you could build a .1 MOA rifle....that would really be a point of pride.. if I were able to do that, I’d be happier than a pig in... stuff and proud as a new father.
    Last edited by Martino1; 06-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Martino; Thanks for the sage advice. What I was saying was that I have the time and ability to build a custom rifle, it's just a matter of finding the components. I don't want to build triggers or barrels, I want to build a custom unit from components made by others. Like you, I don't think I can do all the things involved in a custom rifle as well as a manufacturer, but there are those things just like measuring powder and putting the components together that I have the experience to do to build a custom rifle. I enjoy challenges and improvement. My point above was that now you can build a custom rifle economically using components made by others and enjoy the end product because you built it.
    P.S. I don't enjoy reloading either, but it is a necessary evil to chase the X.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Lone Peak makes an amazing action. I have a Fuzion on my match .308, built in 20moa rail, recoil lug, and it's ridiculously smooth to operate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Since you are considering a build, I’ve been hearing some good things regarding 200gr SMK bullets which has some interesting connotations about 308’s being able to reach out to stay supersonic out to 1400-1500yds. You have to load them long so my buddy and I were talking about doing a 308 long action so we don’t have to single load these puppies. My longest range in my area is 1000yds. I use a 175 SMK and inside 600 is pretty boring. If I take the time to settle down, get the breathing under control and steady up my elevation is on, wind call is the variable that causes misses out at 900-1000. It would be cool to have a mag fed round capable of reaching out. Maybe even with AI shoulders for a bit more efficiency.

The only reason I mention this is because I was of the belief that you cut the barrel with the bullet amongst other things in mind. We were thinking about a Lone Peak action as possible candidate. I have heard good things about their offerings.
    Last edited by Martino1; 06-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Ads