building 338LM

building 338LM

This is a discussion on building 338LM within the Gunsmithing forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello everybody I have a savage 111 rifle in 7mm rem .. I have a desire to change the caliber to 338 lapua magnum My ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mudpig

Thread: building 338LM

building 338LM

Hello everybody
    I have a savage 111 rifle in 7mm rem .. I have a desire to change the caliber to 338 lapua magnum
    My question is could I build my projects with this action ? And what I need to complete it
    Thanks

Regular actions are not heat treated properly for the 338LM. Check out savage web forum. There is a huge write up on that very subject.

https://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php
    tonytoshiba likes this.

What is your purpose in wanting a 338 over 7mm mag? Are you just punching paper and ringing steel? If so, the 7mm is better suited with better ballistics. It is just not as cool to show off to your friends.

If you really want an upgrade for higher precision, then you could look at a different rifle all together.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

just want the projects for long-range shooting
    Last edited by Mnahi; 04-29-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    Regular actions are not heat treated properly for the 338LM. Check out savage web forum. There is a huge write up on that very subject.

https://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php

you mean that will not be suitable at all with my project?

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    What is your purpose in wanting a 338 over 7mm mag? Are you just punching paper and ringing steel? If so, the 7mm is better suited with better ballistics. It is just not as cool to show off to your friends.

If you really want an upgrade for higher precision, then you could look at a different rifle all together.
    What actions you suggest to me?

I use desert tech rifles. It is just too easy to change things up if you want a different caliber. Barrel swaps are less than a minute for anything from 308 to 338lm.

As far as a conventional build I am not sure which route I would go, but I would start with a full custom action. If you can afford to feed a 338LM, then you can afford something a little better quality than a factory rifle.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mnahi View Post
    you mean that will not be suitable at all with my project?
    If you want to use your action you could go with an 338 Edge or RUM. Savage makes specific actions just for 338 Lapua. They have a different heat treat or metallurgy. They are considerably stronger than the action you have now and the Lapua action is a LARGE shank receiver. The action you have is a small shank.

Ads