new guy from wisconsin

new guy from wisconsin

This is a discussion on new guy from wisconsin within the Introductions forums, part of the New Member Area category; I am an avid shooter for many years. IPSC and 3 gun shooter. I am now looking to start shooting long distance and love the ...

Cool new guy from wisconsin

I am an avid shooter for many years. IPSC and 3 gun shooter. I am now looking to start shooting long distance and love the fine points of accuracy. I have much to learn and will probably ask some stupid questions but hey thats how you learn.

Welcome to the site, glad you could join us
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

Welcome to the forum! I'm a pistol shooter who became interested in long range too. Check out the stickys in the various sections and if there is something you're still wondering about ask away. Enjoy! - Todd

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShtrRdy View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I'm a pistol shooter who became interested in long range too. Check out the stickys in the various sections and if there is something you're still wondering about ask away. Enjoy! - Todd
    ^^ What he said.

What are ya shooting?

Welcome

Right now I am shooting 2 rifles- I have a Rock River varmint heavy barrel in 223 with a harris bipod. The other is a remington 700 heavy in .308 with a NightForce ATACR.
    I am looking to build a new rifle in .308 -Surgeon action with a heavy palma ,McMillan stock, harris bi pod and use my NightForce ATACR that I currently have. I purchased a LaRue removable 1 piece base so that i can use this scope on multiple rifles. I ,like most avid shooters have a vast array of rifles,pistols etc. I currently have 17 different calibers in total. I dont have 6mm or any wildcat calibers just the standard calibers. So I am vascillating on what is the best caliber to use for the new rifle I want to build.
    I am looking for a 1000 yard platform. Being that I am an avid hunter and want to stay with a good round to hunt multiple species with- elk-deer-bear etc.--- any suggestions?
    I also just started reloading and brother I am discovering that their is a lot to learn about this! The old saying " the more knowledge I have the more ignorant I realize that I am" really applies in my case. I am searching for good loads to try out in .308-223 and 300 win can you give me some suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1862 View Post
    Right now I am shooting 2 rifles- I have a Rock River varmint heavy barrel in 223 with a harris bipod. The other is a remington 700 heavy in .308 with a NightForce ATACR.
    I am looking to build a new rifle in .308 -Surgeon action with a heavy palma ,McMillan stock, harris bi pod and use my NightForce ATACR that I currently have. I purchased a LaRue removable 1 piece base so that i can use this scope on multiple rifles. I ,like most avid shooters have a vast array of rifles,pistols etc. I currently have 17 different calibers in total. I dont have 6mm or any wildcat calibers just the standard calibers. So I am vascillating on what is the best caliber to use for the new rifle I want to build.
    I am looking for a 1000 yard platform. Being that I am an avid hunter and want to stay with a good round to hunt multiple species with- elk-deer-bear etc.--- any suggestions?
    I also just started reloading and brother I am discovering that their is a lot to learn about this! The old saying " the more knowledge I have the more ignorant I realize that I am" really applies in my case. I am searching for good loads to try out in .308-223 and 300 win can you give me some suggestions?

How well does the Rem 700 .308/ATACR shoot?

How tight can one expect the groups to be at 100 yards with a Surgeon .308 action/Palma bbl?
    Last edited by Quackhead69; 01-20-2015 at 08:19 AM.

it holds about a 1MOA at 100 yards. I hear that the surgeon is a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. The biggest reason for the new rifle is the adjustable cheek piece . That way I get a better cheek weld and with a sub MOA rifle I can eliminate the rifle for bad groupings. Maybe this is a bad idea and that I should stay with what I have-- that way I can blame the rifle--lol I love the Rem 700/ATACR combo. That's why I'm thinking to stay with the .308 caliber.
    I feel that I need to eliminate as many variables as possible with my equipment. Their is so much to learn about ballistics, the affects of wind drift and form.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1862 View Post
    it holds about a 1MOA at 100 yards. I hear that the surgeon is a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. The biggest reason for the new rifle is the adjustable cheek piece . That way I get a better cheek weld and with a sub MOA rifle I can eliminate the rifle for bad groupings. Maybe this is a bad idea and that I should stay with what I have-- that way I can blame the rifle--lol I love the Rem 700/ATACR combo. That's why I'm thinking to stay with the .308 caliber.
    I feel that I need to eliminate as many variables as possible with my equipment. Their is so much to learn about ballistics, the affects of wind drift and form.
    I have seen reviews of those RRA Varmints shooting sub 1/2 moa with the right ammo.
    Seems like I can't find anything here in the Piney Woods area where I live that will let me shoot past 300 without breaking a Law of some sort. I hear there is a 1000 yd shot about 75 miles down the road, but have not made it over there yet. At my local range, I see very few rifle shooters. Mostly either pistol/AR shooters or hunters around early Fall sighting in their deer rifles.

I have been a avid bird hunter for the last 20 years and probably not shot more than a 500 rd bx of .22's during that time, and certainly not many center fire rifles since I quit deer hunting when I was in my early 20's. I don't know, I just recently have a desire to shoot precision. I guess when I feel confident enough, I will drive 75 miles to the "local" 1000 yd range and try to qualify...thinking seriously about trying to qualify this weekend, It will entirely depend on the weather though,lol.
    The reason I was asking about the Surgeon was because that's an expensive little chunk of steel... toss on a heavy palma profiled barrel, the stock and scope, you are looking at what? 5 Grand + or - a few bucks?
    I was wondering how dramatic the performance improvements would be over the factory Rem 700 with a heavy barrel. I compared a few factory rifles when I was buying a couple of months ago. I went with Howa because folks were reporting good things about them right out of the box. I was also trying to avoid all the advised work that folks do to Remingtons or pay too much for a comparable, or even worse, a lesser rifle. Everywhere I look, ppl are always asking how to improve their Rem 700's with answers saying you have to pay a 3rd party to get the action smoothed and trued and/or buy a new trigger, etc. Screw that.
    And a Savage? My mind would not let me get past the feel of the blade safety mechanism in their triggers, kinda like a Glock trigger. I know I would have bought one, if it wasn't for that little psychological barrier.
    The factory stock on my rifle is the same as some Rem 700's. That dang Hogue rubber "Floppystock", I call it. I do need to replace that before I waste too much more ammo with it.

Ads