First range trip!

First range trip!

This is a discussion on First range trip! within the Introductions forums, part of the New Member Area category; Hey guys, First, I want to thank the contributors to this forum, it has been an invaluable resource. I started looking in to the sport ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tna9001

Thread: First range trip!

First range trip!

Hey guys,

First, I want to thank the contributors to this forum, it has been an invaluable resource.

I started looking in to the sport of long range precision shooting last summer, It’s something I’ve been interested in for a long time but haven’t had the time to explore until this last year. My initial budget for everything was $3K; I soon spent more, a lot more. Certainly I could have spent less but this sport is as bad as cars and women.

I bought a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, added a PRS stock, Atlas bipod and a LRI barrel. Initially I was going to go with a Burris XTR II but after talking to a friend who owns one and doing some research ended up with a Kahles 624i with the SKMR 3 reticle.

My impressions aren’t of much value as I’m new to this kind of gear and this kind of shooting but I can say I’m pleased with the results. The Kahles is amazing to look through, I got to take a look at a NF NSX at the range (apples and oranges I know) and the difference was significant, especially the eye box, the Kahles is much more forgiving. As far as the rifle, the only thing I don’t like is the trigger, it has significant creep but once that is taken up it is crisp and light (I’ve got it set as the lightest pull). The LRI barrel is a very nice piece, being new I didn’t understand the necessity of sending the rifle to the barrel manufacture to time the makers mark which on my rifle is prominently located on the end of the barrel at 11 O’clock (shooter's perspective) and upside down. I was frustrated by this as LRI would charge $200 to fix this and after paying shipping I’d have a $1,000 barrel on a $999 gun. IMO, LRI should advise customers of this as having the maker’s mark upside down looks bad on a custom and expensive barrel.

The accuracy and ease of handling of this system is amazing, the first two pictures are of the first 6 shots (two 3 shot groups) fired through the rifle at 100 yards. The second picture is of the first 5 shot group at 300 yards, the limit of the range I was using. I fired 75 rounds, most of the groups were around .5-.8 MOA, all of them were under 1 MOA. I’ve joined SCOTG in Laurens SC which is a 90 minute drive and am excited to get started with the long range game, they have steel out to 1340 yards.
    IMG_3284.JPGIMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG
    NorCalFocus and mike.h like this.

Great shooting. Looks like the upside down stamp on the barrel doesn't effect how it shoots lol.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Great shooting. Looks like the upside down stamp on the barrel doesn't effect how it shoots lol.

That's what my non OCD friend told me:-).

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tna9001 View Post
    That's what my non OCD friend told me:-).
    Its easy to be non OCD about someone elses stuff.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

When I got my RPR back from my gunsmith I notice the positioning of the LRI engraving also, and it bothered me too! Oh well it shots good. Nice to know that LRI has a solution and can look out for that next barrel...

Hi Cwall,

Does your rifle have any creep in the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by tna9001 View Post
    Hi Cwall,

Does your rifle have any creep in the trigger?
    Yes, it is not too bad - manageable. I believe several companies (LRI has discussed on Snipers Hide) a new trigger.

Ads