Long range noob

Long range noob

This is a discussion on Long range noob within the Introductions forums, part of the New Member Area category; Hi everyone, Long range noob here, I joined to get guidance and such on long range shooting and want to get involved in PRS, not ...

Thread: Long range noob

Long range noob

Hi everyone,

Long range noob here, I joined to get guidance and such on long range shooting and want to get involved in PRS, not sure what to expect since the site is very vague and not informative for new shooters.

My rifle is going to be a Bergara BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor, I have not decide on the glass as of yet and still researching, anyone running this rifle has a recommendation on scope, let me know.

Never done reloading, I would love to get into it, but would need someone to show me and provide guidance.

More about me.

I live in Aurora IL , do wood working as hobby - a big Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan and a I am truly a Pokemon master at 54, I have all the pokemon games - something I started with my son when he was a little guy, an he is 25 now, comical? yeah but we have lots of fun. My musical taste is mostly classic rock and a lot of progressive rock - thanks to my son.

Allen

Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of information here regarding long range and reloading. I am partial to a Schmidt Bender rifle scope as well as the 6.5 mm Creedmoor cartridge. My father was born in Aurora and I have fond memories of visiting family there.
    See you at the range.

The learning curve to do what you're wanting is a little steep but it's not an especially long one. The equipment cost can be extremely steep if you let it and there is sort of a buy-in price that we all end up surpassing by a giant margin. First thing to understand is that PRS is a league (a formal organization with sanctioned matches going towards a series points race) and a generic term for what I'll call action precision rifle shooting. There are other leagues like NRL that do basically the same exact kind of shooting. The thing is, those games come with certain requirements for the equipment if you're to be very successful at even getting all the shots off in a stage.

There are other games that aren't so harsh on new shooters. NRA sporting rifle competition is similar to PRS type competition in a lot of ways but it is mostly done prone and typically involves a hike (it's stupid amounts of fun too). Then there's what you could call club matches that may adhere to any set of rules they want but you'll usually see them leaning one way or the other toward established game/rule setups. Don't forget about F-class either, it's a great way of working up your wind reading and long range marksmanship skills in a static prone format.

If you can work with wood then I'll assume 4 function math is no worry for you and you can deal with things like unit conversions. If that's the case then you can get yourself into reloading with a few carefully selected YouTube videos and some reading of the directions that come with your tools. Reloading is actually terrifyingly simple and safe if you just take your time, RTFM and build safety into your routine at every step. Reloading precision ammo takes a little more time than banging out plinking round but it can actually be really super simple too if you let it.

Shooting accurately at long range is easy. Any fool can do it. Learning the esoteric stuff isn't necessary but it can be fun. What you really need is a setup that's right for what you're going to actually do. Learning to use your scope turrets and when not to use them and using your reticle takes a little practice to get fast at. Learning how to use ballistic calculators and characterizing your weapon system so the numbers the calculator produces are meaningful is probably the part that most people that do have a really hard time have a really hard time with and that's a shame because it's really pretty simple, it's just careful data gathering. I think it's something people have trouble with in the end because most application developers have made their UI's and/or instruction manuals kind of suck.

If PRS or NRL is your thing, you're going to need an ARCA rail setup on your rifle and all your front end attachments (bipod, barricade stop) need to be ARCA and you'll need a really good tripod with a good ball head. You'll need a few bags for the toe and some for fore end support. You'll also need a dope card holder. You could get away without those things but you'll have a hard time even getting into mid-pack points wise without it.

As far as optics... SWFA is cheap and decent, Burris XTR II is not insanely expensive and really very good. After that there are some bargain newcomers like Athlon, Arkan and Tract and even Primary Arms and if you stick to their top end lines, they're really quite nice. I mean top end when I say top end though. There are also actually top end optics from Vortex Razor 2, US Optics B series, Schmidt & Bender, IOR Valdada, Khales, Steiner, (some) Nightforce and an absolute butt ton of others. Take some free advice, head on over to snipershide.com and hit their optics for sale section. You will save 1000 bucks right out of the gate on some of those top end scopes. Razor 2's and US Optics and all kinds of great stuff there. It's a good crowd as far as being full of honest people. Even if they're prone to dog-piling.

Bipods, check out Atlas, Harris notch leg varieties, Accutac. There are others but those are extremely popular for good reasons. I prefer accutac and harris myself. Not a huge Atlas fan but I'm in the minority there.

Then, you should take a training class. 2 days will change your game. There are tons of them. Ask on snipershide and someone will recommend a good one close to you if there is one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I would suggest to attend a PRS shoot as a spectator if that is allowed. I was able to do so here in Florida and I was able to see what kinds and glass and reticles the top shooters are using. On a glass related note... Sort of... I did notice a trend of shooters migrating from standard Mil dot reticles to hold over trees. these holdover trees allow you to engage multiple targets at various ranges and adjust for distance by picking the elevation and windage that corresponds to your firing solution. You don't see many cranking their dope on their scopes during these timed shoots. I've seen S&B, TT and higher end Vortex scopes all well represented at these shoots.

Remember that a quality scope that has a good reticle will bring the best out of mediocre rifle, a poor quality scope will do nothing for a custom shooter other than provide a lot of frustration. This I learned the hard way.

My 02.

Ads