New to long(er) range shooting!

This is a discussion on New to long(er) range shooting! within the Introductions forums, part of the New Member Area category; Hello everyone. I've been around pistols and carbines for a while, and have had training with Paul Howe/CSAT, Jason Falla/Redback One, Ken Hackathorn, Frank Proctor, ...

Hello everyone.

I've been around pistols and carbines for a while, and have had training with Paul Howe/CSAT, Jason Falla/Redback One, Ken Hackathorn, Frank Proctor, and John McPhee/Sheriff of Baghdad.

My introduction to longer range shooting got started with my taking a Heavy Carbine course with John McPhee a couple of years ago. We shot out to 600 yards.

I used a 16" mid length AR with a Burris XTR II 1-5x.

Now I've just finally put a scope on an LMT MWS .308 I've had, and I would like to get into long range shooting more...like out to 800 yards or so, if I even find a place where I could shoot that far .

Anyway, I'll be staying in my lane, and looking forward to leaning!

I'll be starting another thread regarding my scope position in its mount, see what y'all think, as soon as I figure out where to appropriately post it.

Dang... good looking list of instructors. I'm pretty sure you had kick @ss time training with them.
    Hidden Content

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    Dang... good looking list of instructors. I'm pretty sure you had kick @ss time training with them.
    Yes great time indeed, I feel very fortunate to have had that experience! I highly recommend all of them, although I think Ken Hackathorn is retiring or is semi-retired, and I don't know if Jason Falla is doing classes actively anymore.

For the purposes of long range however the only training that I've had was a John McPhee Heavy Carbine 2 day class that I took a couple of years ago. Shooting out to 600 yards using holdovers, no dialing, at 12x24" steel targets, except we zeroed on paper at 100m..or was it yards..I don't remember!
    Here's a picture I have handy of the class setting.

The targets you see were our zeroing targets. The reduced sized steel targets string out toward the upper left.

And we were fed home cooked Ribs for lunch..and at the end of the class we each got to shoot 20 rounds fully auto out of an FAL looking rifle John brought out..and John is super nice, professional and damn funny. Highly recommended class and instructor.

BTW GPark, I tried to answer your reply on the other thread but when I hit reply with quote I get kicked out to a sign in page, and then can't sign in, and get recycled to the sign in page!?

Thank you for that reply!
    Yeah I set the relief as you described and I feel good about it. For the Vortex bubble, 8lbs! Holly Schnittzles! My scope is 34 mm diameter btw. There was no recommended torque whatsoever on the package. I figured you don't want that thing twisting out of position so I thought what the rings get, this thing ought to get. I'll have to research the proper torque or reach out to Vortex. I loosened it and re-torqued it at 10 lbs, but that seemed too loose, so I torqued it to 15lbs and left it there for now.
    Well I'll just zero for 100 yards and get DOPE info from that, and also try to see if I can use my Strelok app to see where I'll be hitting.

Many thanks for the input, and I may have to email the administrator regarding why I can't reply to my other thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking range!
    USAF 1966-1970 C-130, KC-135, B-52 D and H We Deliver!

Ads