Hearing Protection ?

Hearing Protection ?

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection ? within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What are you guys using for hearing protection ? Any worthwhile in-ear protection that I'm not aware of ? I need to invest in some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hearing Protection ?

What are you guys using for hearing protection ?

Any worthwhile in-ear protection that I'm not aware of ?

I need to invest in some new protection gear.

What?

:lol:

In the field I don't use any protection, but if I'm testing a load at the range then I'll use the cheap shooting earmuffs you find at places like walmart. Works fine for me.

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

I use the little orange rubber ones that the Army Gave out.
    The muffs make my head hurt. I dont like the foam type that you have to squeeze and put in your ear......they usualy dont say good.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I just use the cheapy earmuffs they work good for the shooting I do.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    A year or so ago I used the earmuffs and my dad has 2 or 3 pairs but sometimes when shooting I noticed that they get in the way at times. Sorry I have forgotten what type of gun it was that I had problems with shotgun or rifle but I don't think it would make a difference. It could also be me shooting improperly or with bad form but now I use little foam ones that go in my ear.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can get with just a kind word."

"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification."

Quote Originally Posted by Bower
    A year or so ago I used the earmuffs and my dad has 2 or 3 pairs but sometimes when shooting I noticed that they get in the way at times. Sorry I have forgotten what type of gun it was that I had problems with shotgun or rifle but I don't think it would make a difference. It could also be me shooting improperly or with bad form but now I use little foam ones that go in my ear.

Well sometimes certian types of muffs make it hard to get a good cheek on the rifle.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by whbonney26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bower

Well sometimes certian types of muffs make it hard to get a good cheek on the rifle.
    Yeah and these might have been machinery earmuffs for woodworking that's why I wasn't sure if they're different than shooting specific muffs if they even have them.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can get with just a kind word."

"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification."

I use Pro Ears Dimension 1 Electronic Muffs.

They work well, although when at my covered range I use foam plugs with them as well due to the higher concussion level under the roof, especially with other shooters and muzzle breaks, out in the field even with a muzzle break is no issue at all. They amplify sounds I want - animals etc, and cut off over 70-ish Decibels (gun shots). And they're comfortable to wear all day unlike other inexpensive muffs. I bought a pair for my wife as well and she loves them. IIRC they're under $150.00

Even better would be custom in ear electronic protection that you'd have to have an ear doctor create your custom moulds for. I think these are in the $750.00 range.

I play guitar as well and my hearing is worth too much to me to not protect whenever I can.

Try to find pricing on cochlear implants, I'm guessing in the $75,000.00 + area to restore damaged hearing.
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

I generally used the yellow foam or the baffled soft rubber inserts. In Iraq I usually just used one in my right (shooting) ear - it can be pretty hard to understand people with both in, but I was hopeing come out with my hearing intact. It seemed a good compromise, and they worked, simple as they are. Were you referring to range shooting or operational shooting?

The Impact Sport Electronic ear muffs have been getting great reviews over on the hide. If you don't feel like reading through the whole post, here it is in a nutshell.

They blow Peltor 6s out of the water
    Cheaper than the Peltors
    Most people are buying these and getting rid of their Peltors

The only complaint I saw was that one person heard a loud whirring sound when he turned the volume up. It turns out it was a fan in the computer that the earmuffs were picking up. :wink:

I plan to pick up a set in the very near future.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...264#Post147264

You can buy them here, Donnie is a great guy to deal with:

http://www.bigrivertactical.com/cata...78/4461735.htm

If you are looking for some ear plugs, I have been referred to using these by people whose judgment I trust.

AOSafety® COMBAT ARMS INDOOR / OUTDOOR E-A-R® PLUGS

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads