Remington 700 Bolt Cleaning

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Bolt Cleaning within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys, So I took apart my bolt today on my Rem 700 SPS to clean it up. I know some of you say dont ...

Hey guys,

So I took apart my bolt today on my Rem 700 SPS to clean it up. I know some of you say dont worry about it, that you haven't done yours in ages .. etc. Anyways, I did it. Yeah, the Army has made me anal retentive, and yes, I know the Army cleans their weapons wrong.

Madgunsmith has actually turned me on to some good stuff by GunSlick (the company's name) called Foaming Bore cleaner. You point your weapon (non gas operated!) at a newspaper on the floor (Mad said make sure it's a newspaper containing a lot of political democrat shit ), insert the tube of the spray can in the chamber, getting it as far in as possible, then spray. It fills the bore with this foam that turnes blue as it pulls the copper off.

Anyways, I pulled a few patches through to dry it up and remove the remaining foam. Worked wonders! So I decided to put a little of the foam on the bolt face, and damn ... it cleaned the hell out of that too!

Well I was woried about how much of this stuff I got in there as you need to re-oil the weapon parts that were efected so that it doesnt rust or anything. Since I live in Florida this pertains to me a lot more than others. So I grabed a flat head screw driver, pryed the metal tang up on the bolt nut, and turned the bolt until the firing pin came out.

I went ahead and wiped this down and used the bore cleaner on the "non spring" portion of the firing pin to remove all the gunk on it. But now I need to lube it back up.

For the firing pin, would it be ok just to give the entire bolt "insides" a moderate coat of CLP? I'm not a gunsmith, and I know there's certain "dos" and "donts." Wasn't sure how much to put on it, or if it's the wrong type of oil.

Thank you!
    George P. Harrison

Hidden Content
    173rd Airborne Brigade, 1/508th Infantry
    82nd Airborne Division, 2/504th PIR "Strike Hold!"

No majic here. Get it clean and don't over lube it just like your DI told you in basic. Talk to a million people and each has their opinion. CLP, gunslick, etc. I have even heard of good results with mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I prefer to lube it good, then wipe it down good, and that leaves a slight film behind. Just like they taught in the Army.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Quote Originally Posted by ekaphoto
    No majic here. Get it clean and don't over lube it just like your DI told you in basic. Talk to a million people and each has their opinion. CLP, gunslick, etc. I have even heard of good results with mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I prefer to lube it good, then wipe it down good, and that leaves a slight film behind. Just like they taught in the Army.
    Awesome, thank you. I just wanted to make sure that there wasnt a heavier oil I needed.

On a side note, I never knew not to oil the chamber. Back in the day I'd oil everything to make sure that nothing would get screwed up. Madgunsmith pointed out the fact that before you shoot, the chamber should be dry so that the case could stick inside the chamber and not allow gasses to blow back through, causing a degredating in accuracy. I guess though back in the Army as a grunt, tight groups wasn't a primary concern ... the concern was just droping an enemy.

Anyways, thank you Ekaphoto. This foaming bore cleaner works wonders by the way. Just thought I'd re itteriate that.
    George P. Harrison

Hidden Content
    173rd Airborne Brigade, 1/508th Infantry
    82nd Airborne Division, 2/504th PIR "Strike Hold!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Business processes automation is not the same as “smart plants”, robotization, infrastructure management, industrial automation, risk management. Industrial automation/robotization involves the use of computers/robots software for cleaning business managemart for the automated start of production processes. This replaces human labor and increases the speed of the production cycle.

Ads