Hearing protection

Hearing protection

This is a discussion on Hearing protection within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys I was wondering which form of hearing protection you use out shooting? I started with some of those reusable fin style ear plugs, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hearing protection

Hey guys I was wondering which form of hearing protection you use out shooting? I started with some of those reusable fin style ear plugs, but those were super uncomfortable. Then I went to the disposable foam style ear plugs, and they work just fine. The only problem is that when you're out with friends and want to talk between groups or whatever, they are a pain to pull out and put back in.

I've been looking in to some ear muffs, but have no idea what to get. Electronic or regular? Which brand? Etc.

Also, does anyone have any issues with a good cheek weld with muffs on? I've only ever used them with handguns, but I've always worried about them getting in the way with a rifle. Anyways, thanks guys.

I use disposable foam plugs and earmuffs, at the same time. All the insulation from the sound helps me relax, concentrate on follow through, and I feel I can do a better job of keeping/re-accquiring the target without that distraction.
    I use the same foam earplugs found on construction sites and sold at lumber yards, and the muffs are an $18 pair of Stihl earmuffs from the saw shop. I can still hear the gong ring out from 500 yards away.

For recreational shooting I use disposable foam plugs AND Peltor electronic muffs. For business I use one or the other (Usually the muffs).

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    For recreational shooting I use disposable foam plugs AND Peltor electronic muffs. For business I use one or the other (Usually the muffs).
    Hmm ok, but regardless the muffs don't get in the way of your cheek weld?

I haven't had any problem. The Peltors (check the tactical line like the 6S) have much smaller ear pieces than most - at the expense of not offering as much protection. Then again maybe I just have a weird head.

I would make sure they fit well. I had some over sized one once and when shooting my AR they pinched my cheek and came up a little on my right ear resulting in ringing for the next day.

The electronic ones look cool and seem to be nice (they have little speakers in there that only transmit people talking, not gun fire). I have never used one before though, I'm to cheep.

I picked up a pare of reusable ones with the 3 layers (like $2) and they have been the only things to work perfectly for me.

I know what you mean though, wanting to shoot all day long with you're friends but cant stand placing ear plugs in every 5 sec.

+1 on finding a pair of simple ear muffs.

I use ear plugs for the simple fact that when I go shooting, I go all day long. wereing muffs all day long can realy make your ears sore after a wile. I had a nice set of low profiles with david clark gel liners but even those made my outer ears sore afte a full day of wereing them.
    If some one has somthing to say to me when shooting, they can either speak up or take a walk. It dosnt take that much eford to speak loudly enogh for some one to hear you with plugs in.

on a side note, I have never had a pair of muffs interfear with my shooting. I only used low profiles ones thogh, and the electronic ones are nice, but I wont were them for a full day at the range.
    Hidden Content

You are not Prepared.

Ive worn quite a few muffs and plugs over the years as a landscaper, and by far the best pair of muffs Ive ever worn are the Howard Leight Leightning LOF's, and theyre only $25. Very thin and lightweight, yet still offer as much or more protection than plugs and bigger muffs.

http://howardleight.com/family/index/23

If you want passive protection they make a pair the same style but electronic.
    -Savage 12FV .308 Menace, B&C, XTR, Harris

GENTLEMEN ...BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD! I get a permanent disability for hearing damage (Tinitis) from shooting long guns for too many years. I cant begin to tell you how irritating the CONSTANT RINGING from hearing damage is. Dont mess around, when in doubt, try em out!

I use both but I am looking for a decent pair of electronic muffs.
    “The cause we are engaged in is so just and righteous that we must try to rise superior to every obstacle in its supportâ€

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads