Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; For a long time now, I have used either a pair of molded ear plugs or ear muffs for shooting pistol. For rifle, I've been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hearing Protection

For a long time now, I have used either a pair of molded ear plugs or ear muffs for shooting pistol. For rifle, I've been using both, but the muffs are frequently pressing against the stock and are largely a PITA. I could probably get by with just the ear plugs but at my range we have to shoot from an area enclosed on three sides (to trap the noise) and it can work too well some days.

What I am looking for is the most effective ear plugs I can get. I won't say that money is no object but I'd be willing to pay more than the usual $10 a pair.

It's worth noting that I have rather narrow ear canals and find that a lot of the ear plugs sold start to get really uncomfortable after about 15 min.

Suggestions?
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Re: Hearing Protection

You may want to try these.http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html I haven't tryed them yet but I have a set ordered. They are a little pricey but not to bad if they work.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt1
    You may want to try these.http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html I haven't tryed them yet but I have a set ordered. They are a little pricey but not to bad if they work.
    I have a pair. Can't say that they are any better than others I have tried.

The best plugs I have tried are Howard Leight SmartFit but someone on another forum suggested I try disposables - specifically Howard Leight Super Leight. These have a NRR rating of 33, which is quite remarkable. He also said that foam disposables are more comfortable for long periods than regular plugs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

In my line of work I go to many different heliports and sometimes come across some pretty good disposables. The ones I like the best arenít foam. They have a soft sticklike support in the middle and the plug is made of fibers. They its kind of hard to describe them, but its almost like they are made of fabric. They donít give you an airtight seal, so you donít get that plugged up feeling in 10 minutes like regular plugs. But they work very well, and I shoot with them all the time. The next time I come across some Ill hit you up.
    But I do have a few extra sets of some good corded ones one of my buddies gave me thatís a pilot. They come in a little hard case. PM me your address and I'll send you a pair.
    I have good muffs I shoot with, but they do get in the way, so I mostly use good disposables. My ears are pretty sensitive having worked on jet aircraft for 10 years, and the disposables are just fine for me. Havenít lost any hearing in the last few years according to the V.A.
    Hidden Content

You are not Prepared.

I'm getting some Peltor Blasts. They are disposable and have an NRR 32 rating. From a lot of reading, they appear to work well and are very comfortable.

The main issue with all the foam plugs is that they seem to be fussy to put in correctly. It may just be that when I tried some in the past, I was not doing it correctly.

I'd be interested in hearing about the ones Outlaw mentions.

If your issue is getting them in correctly, try this. Reach over your head with your right hand and pull up on your left ear while putting a plug in your left ear with your left hand. Then vis versa. That opens your cannal up better to get them in. Also push type pluggs also help with that issue.
    Hidden Content

You are not Prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    If your issue is getting them in correctly, try this. Reach over your head with your right hand and pull up on your left ear while putting a plug in your left ear with your left hand.
    I know this now. Would have known it before if I had read the instructions. But who read's instructions for earplugs for heavens sake?

The tricky part is really keeping it rolled up tight as you put it in. If it expands too soon then it won't go in properly. They need to put a little rip cord on them that you can pull to inflate after they are in place. :P

Banned

You will probably not like the surefire ear pro.. I got a set and they are ok. NRR isn't that great, they stay in well and they don't really give me that plugged up feeling. However, they do start to hurt after a long day at the range and could be distracting. So I find myself reaching for foamies 99% of the time unless I need to take them in and out repeatedly (my hearing is already effed so I can't hear people talk very well, thanks Navy), in which case I will use the surefires.

I use Howard Light plugs that are rated at 32db. They are just over $20/200. I use a pair for several trips to the range before I throw them away. They work great for most shooting, but I use muffs along with these when shooting the Barrett. Everything else they are fine and fairly comfortable, but I got used to wearing plugs all day long so I might not be a good judge of comfort.

If all else fails, get one of these:
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

never mind on the suppressor. looks like you are in an unconstitutional state.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads