Resetting Targets

Resetting Targets

This is a discussion on Resetting Targets within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello, I'm looking to setup a resetting target for short and long range shooting (100-1000 yds). I'm using a 308, a 300WM, and a 350RM ...

maf

Resetting Targets

Hello, I'm looking to setup a resetting target for short and long range shooting (100-1000 yds). I'm using a 308, a 300WM, and a 350RM so the target has to be pretty tough...especially at closer ranges. I've seen some torso-sized targets that reset with a electric motor (possibly solar?) but I dont know where to find them or what their technical name is.

Can anyone help?

maf
    Thanks for the links. I think after looking around it would be quite a bit easier (and cheaper, holy crap) to just make my own resetting target.

Thanks for the help!

Banned
    Maf, probly not a good idea, especially if you plan on using them around other people. I would go with MGM. Buy once cry once.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

maf
    Why not? There isn't much more than a couple hundred dollars worth of mechanisms and batteries. I can't justify spending $2k on something I can design and build myself.

I became an engineer for a reason...to build things.

Have you considered something like this: The Body Mass Index (BMI) Double Plate Swinger
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Banned
    Safety... Dont use soft steel, dont mess with the tempur of the steel and you should be good to go..

personally I would just make a swinger. Maybe even weight it so it is canted towards the ground a hair to deflect any frag downward.. Forget motors and all that crap, just more $ to spend and stuff to break.

OR.. google the MGM US Popper

maf
    Oh yeah, I will definitely use the right steel. I think the auto-reset might be nice if I had more than one and wanted to do some partner competitions. I'll run it around and see what works best.

Thanks for the help.

Banned
    Pick up a spinner! That would be a lot of fun and or frustrating all at the same time.. Think about getting that thing to spin at 600+ yards...

Nevco Targets

Quote Originally Posted by maf View Post
    Hello, I'm looking to setup a resetting target for short and long range shooting (100-1000 yds). I'm using a 308, a 300WM, and a 350RM so the target has to be pretty tough...especially at closer ranges. I've seen some torso-sized targets that reset with a electric motor (possibly solar?) but I dont know where to find them or what their technical name is.

Can anyone help?
    Maf, Take a look at Nevo Targets (Nevcotargets.com) - Nevo Long Range Rifle Swinger @ $199.00 plus shipping. Made of AR500 steel. I shoot AR500 with a Rem. 700 .308 starting at 200yds. without beating up the steel. I believe 100 yds. is too close and flying frags could be a problem. I also shoot these same targets (singles) with my handguns all the time without issue. AR500 is a minimum hardness for shooting with rifles. A friend has AR500 steel that he shoots at 500 yds. with his .338 lapua without damaging the steel. These targets are somewhat expensive, it makes sense to take care of them. Damaged steel is dangerous because it can throw fragments in directions that you may not want.
    Hope this helps.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." Clint Eastwood

Ads