Orkan's SHOT Show 2015 Report

This is a discussion on Orkan's SHOT Show 2015 Report within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Another SHOT came and went. I hate vegas, but getting a chance to put hands on the up and coming items is always fun. Frank ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Orkan's SHOT Show 2015 Report

Another SHOT came and went. I hate vegas, but getting a chance to put hands on the up and coming items is always fun. Frank Galli and his USMC buddies kept me up one night... Russ and the DTA guys/gals kept me up another night or two... Mike @ Tac Ops was fun to hang out with another night... and my feet/legs were once again murdered by the concrete floors. Rob01 is missing his non-dominant eye from the devastating jab to the cornea he received when he turned my direction in the hornady booth. There wasn't one square inch of that place that we didn't see. Met a bunch of great guys and got to catch up with a bunch I've met before.

Lets get started.

Tangent Theta
    We should have scopes within a month or so. Really. The M-series has seen great improvements from last year's design. The clicks are even better and the addition of sealed turrets has increased their reliability potential. We look for these to be a fantastic crossover hunting/tactical scope. Give me a call to secure yours!

Here's a shot of the new MOA reticle in the 315M.

Nightforce
    The new F1's from Nightforce are turning heads. Especially that 4-16! It is an outstanding scope with great size to performance ratio at a competitive price. We have a pile on order and will be looking to receive them march/april time frame. The zero-hold is awesome, as is the digital push-button illumination. The scopes will come standard with Tenebraex covers, which is a welcome addition. The entire rear ocular of the scopes rotate just like the NXS models. I was hoping for a static ocular such as is found on the 2.5-10x42 models... but with the included covers, it isn't a deal breaker.

The 5-25 F1 is another great option, but with the scope tunneling from 5-7x... it's far less appealing than if it retained a full 5x magnification ratio. Pretty sad to see that.

Desert Tech
    Desert Tech doesn't really have much "new" this year, but they have polished the products they have presented in the past and have also come to the table with a left handed SRS-A1. We shipped our first lefties today, and look forward to being able to accommodate our "wrong handed" brothers and sisters as time goes on.

How about an MDR with integral OSS suppressor? We look to have the MDR's available for delivery sometime in late 2015.

The R7S. We should be starting to see these ready to move around early summer with a rough price of around $800. By far the most impressive and innovative chassis system at the show.

Mega Arms
    Some cool products from Mega this year. They took a stab at a chassis and did a pretty good job, though I've never been a fan of the ergo's provided by AR15 components on a bolt gun. The PRS stock is an "easy button" to full adjustment, but there was definitely something lacking in the ergo's department. They did a good job on the front end though. Quality machine work and the modular clip-on rail was a nice touch. Over a thousand bucks by the time you get it all setup with some good AR parts though.

Ambi charging handle here with a spring loaded latch. Pretty cool!

Lyman
    Their new $300 digital bore scope which can snap pics to an SD card is awesome! That's all I have to say about that.

Cadex
    These guys have some seriously cool stuff going on this year. Their new action is very interesting. The bolt lift and ergo's of the action are incredible. Right up there with the BAT Tactical. They are suppose to be getting with me on pricing later on for just the action. They had it all together in their branded rifles. The rifles were fairly unimpressive as a whole, but the action seemed outstanding. I'm not a fan of the safety location/design. The action is a breath of fresh air amongst countless rem-700 clones. It's a 3-lug design with a m16-style extractor. It will take any rem700 trigger, and they developed their own as well. It's a very unique trigger. Feels very much like the Geisele S3G with a "roll on" type pull rather than the normal wall/break type trigger designs. Not sure what to think of it in a precision rifle. Kinda weird. I'll be keeping a close eye.

Mack Brothers
    The same south dakota company that machines the majority of Badger Ordnance's stuff produces these cans. Great outfit with a great product. Their attachment method is very innovative and has been received well!

B&T Industries
    Atlas bipods? What's not to love!?!? I stopped by for one reason alone: To inspect the latest prototype for the 5H, their new heavy duty bipod. My 375CT is begging for one of these things.
    Kasey was his usual awesome self. I took more awesome pictures, but refuse to post them out of respect for his wishes. His unscrupulous dirt bag of a competitor has been trying hard to steal his designs for several years now. No need to help the enemy.

Minox
    I turned the turrets and I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Nothing worth talking about here.

IOR
    I stopped and ran some turrets and poked around. Nothing has changed. Still junk from one end of the spectrum to the other. They don't even deserve a picture.

Steel Core
    These guys sure have a unique utilitarian rifle. Points for originality and tank-like features. Decidedly proprietary, and very rudimentary in appearance. Neat, and points for effort... but I won't be running out to buy one. If someone was looking for a unique rifle for the sake of being different... it would be fun to try.

Steiner
    Their new T5Xi line has generated a lot of hype. Nice scopes, but I think they are in the wrong price category. There's potential there, but the clicks were lackluster and the optical performance was less than I was expecting. Pretty unforgiving eyeboxes. They all need a 20% price reduction before I'd latch on real heavy. Especially in light of Nightforce's new F1's. We'll see if the production models have better turrets.

Sig Sauer
    The MPX is way cool. I'd happily jump on one of these before I'd pick up another MP5.

They launched several new optics lines this year. Japanese and chinese and who-knows-where in manufacture... I was very unimpressed. They've got some leupold talent on board to try and make a run of it... and tons of money to throw around, so I have no doubt they will press forward regardless of what anyone has to say. Half the scopes on display had mechanical issues. Some had severe mechanical issues. Obviously they were "prototypes" but in the same breath... it just shows they are not ready. The scopes weren't in a state of completeness to where you could even draw conclusions about them. Some had turrets that didn't click at all. Some had turrets that were permanently locked. Some had mushy clicks while others had clicks that were so finite that you could call them "nasty sharp." Nothing good came to mind. I'll check them out again in a year and see how they are doing. Right now? Avoid like the plague.

Sightmark
    They roped me in to take a look at their day scope. They are known for low-budget night vision. The scope was good optically... but horrendous everything else.

KRG
    $4000 magnesium/carbon fiber Rem700 chassis anyone? I thought not.

Magpul
    Fondled their new plastic chasis. Good stuff. It was surprisingly stiff. For the $260 they are going to be charging... they are going to absolutely murder Choate and the rest of the garbage stock makers. The plastic DBM setup was pretty hinky, but for the price... man they are going to sell every one they can make. Obviously live fire would be needed to draw a solid conclusion, but I was very impressed with what I saw. The price! Man alive this thing is cheap. The grip is angled quite a bit, which makes it a bit difficult to get a straight 90 degree trigger finger position... but the PRICE! I predict this will be THE stock that the budget guys go to.

Kelbly's
    Their new tactical atlas action is awesome! I ordered 5 of them to try out. They start with their Atlas Action, made in Ohio from All-American Metal and turn it into a dirt eating machine. They open the action tolerances up to .005” bolt to body clearance to allow bind free use of the bolt, even in the grimiest of conditions. Then they flute the bolt body, so that all that dirt and grime has a place to go while cycling the bolt. The Atlas Tactical also has a 20 MOA pinned Picatinny Rail, upgraded the bolt stop pin, TG Mechanical Ejector, Dual Pin Recoil Lug, American Precision Arms Tactical Bolt Knob, and a magazine that accepts both the AICS and AW Magazines. To top it all off they use H&M Metal Processing’s BlackNitride coating, raising the surface hardness and making it possible to run your action dry. No lubrication is required, reducing grit and grime that sticks to oils and grease. I was very impressed with these things. Great bolt lift and functionality ergo's and a great company to stand behind them. Looking forward to getting them over to TS Customs for some builds!

Caracal
    If I had a choice between fielding this rifle, and bludgeoning myself to death with a spoon. I'd take the spoon.

Sightron
    Their scopes haven't improved since I last seen them. The responses to the questions I asked in this booth could only be described as horrific. What people see in this company is beyond my comprehension. No point in even taking a picture.

Labradar
    Apparently these will start shipping in march. I'll wait and see.
    Panama likes this.

Wow! Thanks for the pictures and comments!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Man! Thanks for the run down.

Got a price range for the Atlas Tactical action?
    LA vs SA and bolt faces available.
    What material is the DTS chassis made from?
    Precision casting or machined from billet?
    Looks like a bit of both methods.

Can we expect a full write up on the new DTS chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Got a price range for the Atlas Tactical action?
    LA vs SA and bolt faces available.
    What material is the DTS chassis made from?
    Precision casting or machined from billet?
    Looks like a bit of both methods.
    Atlas tactical is about $1200. Yes, LA and SA available.

R7S is machined and cast if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by superman1216 View Post
    Can we expect a full write up on the new DTS chassis.
    Yes, once we have a full production model in house we will do a full review on them.

Thanks for the report, lots of nice looking 'stuff'
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

Nice write up for sure. Glade you made it back in one peace. Does the Lab Radar look to have changed anything in the design since they announced it? Hopefully they keep too their word and start selling looks like a useful tool and if they could get it to go out to 1k that would be even better to see if your still supersonic or how far into it you are.

That is extremely disappointing that the ATACR f1 5-25 tunnels. If you had to go vortex or NF which way would you swing Greg? I didn't see any tunneling from the gen2 and they have a great magnification range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads