Muzzle Brake testing????

Muzzle Brake testing????

This is a discussion on Muzzle Brake testing???? within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Has anyone ever tested various muzzle brakes and quantified the amount of recoil reduction using the same rifle and ammo? I'd love to see some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Muzzle Brake testing????

Has anyone ever tested various muzzle brakes and quantified the amount of recoil reduction using the same rifle and ammo?

I'd love to see some results of such a test. So far I have only been able to find anecdotal information posted by either manufacturer or user that usually reads like "Recoil was reduced by over 50%, etc, etc.". Basically "claims without proof".

Just curious if anyone has ever conducted testing where actual units of recoil pressure were recorded on one rifle, shooting one type of ammo, with only the different brands of brake being screwed on the end of the barrel.

There was a couple videos on YouTube I've watched of one guy doing it for his muzzle break.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno430 View Post
    There was a couple videos on YouTube I've watched of one guy doing it for his muzzle break.
    With quantifiable "readings" on a scale or just "visuals".

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    With quantifiable "readings" on a scale or just "visuals".
    Just hillarious visuals. He let the rifle recoil freely, off the table the first time with no break.

I would think if you used a modified lead sled with the right load cell you could do a more scientific test.

I bet the results would be interesting, especially o large bore calibers.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno430 View Post
    Just hillarious visuals. He let the rifle recoil freely, off the table the first time with no break.

I would think if you used a modified lead sled with the right load cell you could do a more scientific test.

I bet the results would be interesting, especially o large bore calibers.
    The Lead Sled wouldn't even need a "load cell", just a spring scale with a "tell tale" like they use on trigger pull gauges.

This is the kind of stuff I used to do once in my career but I have no desire to invest in a dozen or more muzzle brakes before finding the one that is more "function" than "form".

Funny you should ask...I just ran across this the other day. It may not include everything you mentioned, but it's a step in the right direction. I hope it helps.

Muzzle Brakes: Recoil Results for 308 & 300 Magnum - PrecisionRifleBlog.com
    Rem700 SPS Varmint
    S&W M&P15

This guy did a series of videos.

I just came across this link for the 6mm and 6.5mm rounds. Don't know if this helps, but you might dig up other calibers on that site.

Muzzle break recoil results

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    The Lead Sled wouldn't even need a "load cell", just a spring scale with a "tell tale" like they use on trigger pull gauges.

This is the kind of stuff I used to do once in my career but I have no desire to invest in a dozen or more muzzle brakes before finding the one that is more "function" than "form".
    For just recoil yes a spring scale would work.

However I'd be curious to know if any breaks cause any pull off. On the smaller calibers probably not, but I believe the military did tests and saw the problem on .50 caliber rifles.

Plus I think the load cell results would be better to analyze against.

If I ever stumble into a fortune it would be something to do.

Get a DTA, and some barrels and see if manufacturers would lend some brakes and start hammering away.
    Last edited by Rhyno430; 12-22-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Quote Originally Posted by whjaxn View Post
    Funny you should ask...I just ran across this the other day. It may not include everything you mentioned, but it's a step in the right direction. I hope it helps.

Muzzle Brakes: Recoil Results for 308 & 300 Magnum - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Thanks for the link. Looks like this guy did it right covering impulse recoil as well as momentum. Was also interesting how two brakes stood out from all the rest, some with big names that have lots of advocates.

In the .308 test the Alamo 4 Star and APA Fat B were neck and neck but when he stepped it up to the 300 Norma, looks like the Alamo 4 Star pulled into the lead.

Very interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads