Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock

This is a discussion on Carlos Hathcock within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I read his book and other articles about him and have nothing but respect for the guy, but what makes him stand out so much? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock

I read his book and other articles about him and have nothing but respect for the guy, but what makes him stand out so much? Looking at the War Time List he was number 4 in Vietnam and almost every sniper in WWII has more kills than him (although none listed are USA).

I'm curious to know why the public holds him in such high regard. As far as I know, he's the only sniper to ever have a rifle named after him.

Like I said, I have nothing but respect for the guy, I just don't understand his celebrity in the community.

What really earned the guy such fame was one of the missions he accepted back in vietnam. It basically gained him his choice of duty. Not to mention that he held the world record kill (distance wise) until recent years.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

I believe his actual assignment for his first tour was as an instructor with the 1st Marine Division scout/sniper school. I think the students did most of their learning in a sort of OJT/apprenticeship type of environment. They learned to be snipers by going out with the instructors.

I'm guessing this allowed Hathcock more freedom in the way he operated than snipers assigned to one of the regimental scout/sniper platoons ever experienced. It also resulted in him being borrowed by men in civilian clothes when he wasn't busy training students. I'd have to re-read the book but I don't think the mission to kill the general and the French interrogator came from the Marine Corps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have always thought of him as the author of the modern sniper of sorts. Maybe I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly wasn’t he even involved with developing a better rifle after Vietnam.

Kaz

Kill count isn't the only thing that a sniper gains recognition for. His skills separate from shooting eveidently were second to none. I've heard it said that he did things Hollywood doesn't dream of. His attitude was that he was saving fellow marines lives and he put himself fully into that role, accomplishing his operations and conducting himself in such a fashion that he gained and deserves much respect. Even if he hadn't gotten even a single confirmed, his name might still be spoken with much the same tone as it is now, but for his other characteristics.

no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in, and SOG is a joint op. only the best, (they got some,well,let's say "choice" missions.) , sniping was essential to platoon survival especially in the Danang I corp area.

some young LT's that worked in SOG got tired of mines killing new guys that just flew in to DaNang so they camped the road with starlight scopes and a Winny and set up sectors and took out the ladies (who sold them cold soda when they returned from a mission) :wink:

If you haven't seen this, it is well worth the time:

http://www.oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm

Semper Fidelis Gunny, R.I.P.
    Si vis Pacem Parabellum

WOW that was definately worth reading.

K2

Quote Originally Posted by gtrmn768
    no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in.....
    SOG was strictly a studies and observation group. SOG never crossed any borders it wasn't invited to cross, and CERTAINLY never knowingly participated in such mischief as taking in snipers. Believing that SOG would do such a thing is like believing in Area 51. How could you spread such malicious rumors! Besides, everyone knows that John Kerry took him in, by boat, single-handed, while everyone else was celebrating Christmas...:wink:

K2

Quote Originally Posted by K2
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrmn768
    no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in.....
    SOG was strictly a studies and observation group. SOG never crossed any borders it wasn't invited to cross, and CERTAINLY never knowingly participated in such mischief as taking in snipers. Believing that SOG would do such a thing is like believing in Area 51. How could you spread such malicious rumors! Besides, everyone knows that John Kerry took him in, by boat, single-handed, while everyone else was celebrating Christmas...:wink:

K2
    LOL! Are you sure George Bush Sr. wasn't involved too.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads