Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018 - Page 2

Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018

This is a discussion on Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018 within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; As promised... I don't like this no rear bag business. Not on these small birds. I did figure out that I've been muscling the gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018

As promised...

I don't like this no rear bag business. Not on these small birds.

I did figure out that I've been muscling the gun way to much. So that was a nice learning moment. I also added a level which helped me keep my rifle in the same spot each time.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

:-D
    100m, rem 5r, hornady match 168gr, prone bipod

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    I don't like this no rear bag business. Not on these small birds.

I did figure out that I've been muscling the gun way to much. So that was a nice learning moment. I also added a level which helped me keep my rifle in the same spot each time.
    That's why I added that "twist". I think most of us, hand loaders especially, place too much blame on "bad loads" than on shooter technique. I'll be shooting my target on Tuesday barring any Typhoon hitting our area. Will be interesting to see if my recent surgery will have an effect on my basic gun handling. When using a front rest/rear bag it's mostly just trigger pulling. With no rear bag we add more "shooter" to the mix.
    Scratch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting the target pictures guys. Im recovering from total knee replacement this month. Maybe next month I'll be able to try another one of these.

-- Todd

Well, like promised I went out and shot my target today. Now I have to wait for it to dry out. Rained continuously while I was at range and target paper is so wet I'm afraid it will fall apart if I touch it now. It's sitting on a target frame and drying out right now.

Was a fun shoot. Not being able to use a rear bag was a challenge but one worthwhile. Forced me to put basic shooting skills to the test. Should be able to post tomorrow.
    Scratch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Well, like promised I went out and shot my target today. Now I have to wait for it to dry out. Rained continuously while I was at range and target paper is so wet I'm afraid it will fall apart if I touch it now. It's sitting on a target frame and drying out right now.

Was a fun shoot. Not being able to use a rear bag was a challenge but one worthwhile. Forced me to put basic shooting skills to the test. Should be able to post tomorrow.
    We don't have that problem here this time of year. In one week it went from -37C to +10C. It's back to -1C now. IMG_5841.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    We don't have that problem here this time of year. In one week it went from -37C to +10C. It's back to -1C now. IMG_5841.JPG
    At -37C I don't think I'd be inclined to shoot prone for fear I'd freeze the "family jewels" would freeze to the ground.

Finally dried out. From first two hots it was obvious that I had to hold to the right and down a little. Not only rain, just enough wind make a difference.

Don't feel too bad considering only 4 months post surgery. Did get one of the little buggers right in the "pecker"

100 Yards
    /308 Win
    Fed GMM 175 gr SMK (Factory Ammo)

Sinclair Tactical Bipod
    Hand made into fist for rear support.

This is from my new Benchmark barrel using their 1:10 Two-Groove design. Runs about 75 fps faster than published with an SD or 12 (Maybe lower as my first shot was through a freshly swabbed out barrel and ran slower than rest of shots.)
    Last edited by deadshot2; 01-24-2018 at 03:26 PM.

This load works really well in much warmer weather and wasn't sure how well it would do at about 20° less the temperature it was developed at. But. . . as hoped, Varget did just fine. Shooter wasn't really doing all that well today, but I can't complain much on this result.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Cliffy, Scratch, :-D and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads