Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018

This is a discussion on Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018 within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Here we are with a new year upon us. NorCalFocus has asked me to back him up on the Monthly Challenge as he's having some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Monthly Shooting Challenge for January 2018

Here we are with a new year upon us. NorCalFocus has asked me to back him up on the Monthly Challenge as he's having some extra demands on his time.

Here's the first target of the year.

Rules:
    1. Shoot as many targets as you'd like. However you can only post one target, per class.
    2. All targets must be posted by 11:59pm Pacific time on the last day of the month.
    3. You must follow the coarse of fire for that months target. Each target will have a maximum number of shots allowed.
    4. Use any rifle that you'd like. Minimum distances are as follows:
    a. Airrifle 25 yards
    b. Rimfire 50 yards
    c. Centerfire 100 yards
    5. Be sure to include what rifle, round, position, and distance you've shot the target with in your post. Writing it on the target is fine.

Something easy but to make it more "interesting" a twist will be added. Any rifle/caliber is OK but no rear rest. NO REAR BAG, just shooter's shoulder (using arm of fist grip on rear of sling OK). Front rest can be anything you want from bipod, sandbag(s), rolled up coat, friends shoulder, etc

Scoring------- 10 points per bird
    Minus 5 points for each "hit" on the wire.

14 shots maximum with 140 points max score.

Don't forget to include Rifle, Caliber, Position, etc. Pictures from day of shoot would be nice too.

Download target here: http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20025.pdf

Christmas is over and by the middle of next week the hangovers should be gone so no more excuses. Let's start shooting for the New Year.

I would expect to see a bunch of shooters that aren't hung over Monday to hit the range and shoot their target for January. Get an early start rather than waiting until the last days of the month..

I'm going to see if I can get mine done on Tuesday after everyone else goes back to work.

I am going to wait for more favorable weather. It -40 out now so it a little chilly.

Cliffy

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I am going to wait for more favorable weather. It -40 out now so it a little chilly.

Cliffy
    Have you considered just setting up a target 100 yards from the house, opening a rear window about 6", then set up your rifle so you can shoot through the gap from a rest back inside the warm house?

You might want to lock the cat in a closet and send your wife to the store (or vice-versa ) before doing this though.
    Last edited by deadshot2; 12-31-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    308Impact likes this.

:-D
    Printed. Scheduled for Saturday.

Well, I didn't do so well today entering in at 50 points. 9 out of 14 birds shot at were scared though lol. I added a few more variables by having the kid in the truck, and shooting off the slick tailgate at -4deg C. Distance was 101yds. I shot 2 sighters with rear bag and adjusted 1/2moa down. Then I shot 14 rounds at the challenge target with no rear bag. I was kind of disappointed so I shot a 5 shot group with rear bag after to verify my zero. IMG_5202.JPG
    I won't hold all the movement in the truck against the little guy, cause he shares his apple sauce with me lol. IMG_5191.JPGHonestly I should have put down a piece of plywood to take the slide out of the bipod on the tailgate. Also this barrel is just maybe at 200 rounds so I should revisit load development. Charge is 43.2 gr Varget with 168gr nosler BT's. IMG_5194.JPGIMG_5206.JPGlast pic is our land where I have natural back stops right out to 800yds and the neighbor will let me set up targets on their section so I can shoot 1000 if I want.
    Forgot to mention rifle was savage model 12 , 308 win with 26" Benchmark barrel. And I checked my notes, exactly 140 rounds after today on the barrel.
    Last edited by donnie; 01-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    :-D, Cliffy and Scratch like this.

Weather was 40 degrees out so I figured I'd better act now if I wanted to shoot this month. I gotta say it was a lot harder shooting without my rear bag. I used my gloved fist but could still see my pulse through the scope. Hit two wires so it brought my score down to an even 100 points.

Man I miss summer.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, XLR chassis, 168 A-Max, 44.0 Varget, 100 yards, prone, bipod, rear gloved fist.
    Last edited by Scratch; 01-09-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    :-D, Cliffy, NorCalFocus and 1 others like this.

Tonight looked like my best chance to shoot for a while so I gave it go. The next couple weeks look windy and or colder.

Score of 110 or 120, depends on if a beak only hit counts.

Shot prone with front bipod and hand/ fist under the rear of rifle. 100 yards

6.5CM built by TS Customs with Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action and Bench Mark barrel. KRG Bravo Chassis system
    140 grain Hornady American Gunner Ammo

15F and actively snowing. Not much feeling left in either hand by the time I was done much less my trigger finger.
    Last edited by Bear9350; 01-15-2018 at 09:12 PM.

I got and shot a target, not my best but, leaves room for improvement.

20180118_180141.jpg

It should score 80 points

Cliffy
    Scratch likes this.

I'm going out either tomorrow or next Friday for sure.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads