Looking for gun safe recommendations...

This is a discussion on Looking for gun safe recommendations... within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Looks like we are finally doing the house upgrade in the next couple months. I have about $1000 to spend on a new safe for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looks like we are finally doing the house upgrade in the next couple months. I have about $1000 to spend on a new safe for the new house. I currently have a cheapo Stack-on cabinet that is running over that I plan on keeping for ammo storage. I want to invest in a quality safe in the 30 gun range ( I know a 30 gun safe will not hold 30 rifles ). I currently have 6 long guns and 4 pistols, but plan on continuing to expand the selection. It will also be used for some documents and and heirloom coin collection. It will be in the ground level secured to the slab. I would like a digital keypad with a key backup. I don't want something with chintzy internals and locking mechanisms. The brands and models available are proving a bit overwhelming, so I thought I would ask for personal experiences from a few gun forums. Thanks in advance everyone.

If this belongs in a different forum, please feel free to move it.

Liberty... Fort Knox... Browning... Rhino... any reputable 'American Made' safe will do.

I would recommend you get much larger than you think you need, assuming you have the floor space. I think mine is a 36 gun safe and not near enough room with not that many more long guns then you have. It will fill up fast.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

In my opinion...don’t worry as much about size at this point as quality.

You want a safe with a good fire rating. Most of them are rated at 30 min, but you really need at least 90 at 1400 deg. Mine is 120 mins at 1800 deg.

Any safe under $5000 really isn’t going to do much more than deter some smash and grab thieves...so theft protection rating isn’t that big of a deal...unless you are spending big bucks. Most $1000 safes are going to be rated at about 1-3 minutes for a professional thief.

I want all of my safes to have exposed hinges with bolts all the way around. Reason being is that the exposed hinges allow the door to be picked up off the safe and moved separately. Exposed hinges are not a security issue because even if they are cut off the pins will hold the door locked.

Now...as far as space in a safe goes. If you buy a smaller higher quality safe now you can always buy another one just like it if you wish to expand. Who ever said that everything has to fit in one safe? When you expand just go buy another high quality smaller sized safe. Two safes also diversifies. A thief has to break into more than one.

Absolutely bolt the safe down. Use grade 8 hardware as large as the safe will allow and put washers inside the safe. Reinforce the floor under the safe with steel that runs under a wall (if possible). I used 4”x4”x 1/4” angle iron under mine. A thief is just as likely to steal the whole safe as he is to break into it unless it is properly attached to the floor.

This is my take on safes.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I just bought a safe last fall. I went with a Liberty in a Cabela's Private logo. While I spent only about half of what you did, here are some of the things I really liked about it.

Like ddd said, for $1000 (or less) your not getting a bullet proof safe, but Liberty uses 4" flat bar all the way around their door instead of 1" round bar. So when the door is being pried on this spreads the force out much wider making it harder to pry open. They have videos on YouTube showing two guys taking over 5 minutes to pry it open.

Personally, I wasn't super worried about fire ratings. Even safes with super high rating will be a total loss in the event of a fire that burns down the house. I have insurance on my guns for this reason. If the house burns down an so does my safe contents, I can have the value of the guns replaced.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

I fully understand that no safe is absolutely invulnerable. I also understand that, as a general rule, quality costs money. I need a new safe, and this is about the budget I have to work within... 1200-1300 tops. I simply want to buy the best product that I can within that range.

Does anyone have an opinion on Steelwater safes?

As for me I have a Liberty. But you should take a look at this. It's not bad. Gun Safe Buyers Guide Gun Safe Buyers Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Honestly, I'm getting pretty close to just picking up one of the Cabelas labeled Liberty Fatboy Jr's... But, I have been looking at Mesa's
    Last edited by Wheedle; 02-13-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Anyone check out the gun safes Costco has?

They're not really high end safes, but they're a good price depending on what you're looking for in a safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads