March 2018 Monthly Shooting Challenge

This is a discussion on March 2018 Monthly Shooting Challenge within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; "GET OFF THE BENCH" We're going to keep it simple, but force everyone to get away from shooting on a bench. Course of fire: 1. ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Scratch
  • 2 Post By donnie
  • 3 Post By ShtrRdy
  • 1 Post By :-D
  • 2 Post By straightshooter1

Thread: March 2018 Monthly Shooting Challenge

"GET OFF THE BENCH"

We're going to keep it simple, but force everyone to get away from shooting on a bench.

Course of fire:
    1. You'll need to fire 5 rounds per position for a total of 15 rounds
    2. Fire from a standing position, shooting sticks, tripods, barricade, fence post, tree limb, or purely off hand, just as long as your standing with only your feet on the ground. Keep all five of those shots inside the outer gray ring.
    3. Fire from a sitting/kneeling position. Same as standing, but now you can have as much of your lower body on the ground as you want. Keep all these shots inside the middle gray ring.
    4. Fire your shots from the prone position. Bipod, sack, bags, logs, or anything else you can lay the rifle on. Keep all these shots inside of the inner gray ring.
    5. Either fire your five shots from one position then mark those shots on the target (using 3 different colors would be best) or print 3 targets and shoot one target for each position.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52...ew?usp=sharing

Rules:
    1. Shoot as many targets as you'd like. However you can only post one target, per class.
    2. All targets must be posted by 11:59pm Pacific time on the last day of the month.
    3. You must follow the coarse of fire for that months target. Each target will have a maximum number of shots allowed.
    4. Use any rifle that you'd like. Minimum distances are as follows:
    a. Airrifle 25 yards
    b. Rimfire 50 yards
    c. Centerfire 100 yards
    5. Be sure to include what rifle, round, position, and distance you've shot the target with in your post. Writing it on the target is fine.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Perfect timing. I plan to head out to the range this afternoon. I may try shooting this with a different rifle. Might pick something that isn't so heavy to help with the standing and kneeling/sitting shots.

Amazing idea! I may have to wait until the end of March to do this because its been pretty nasty here in MN lately. But I will see what I can do. Thanks for a good idea even if I have to wait until another month to try.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tedswaback View Post
    Amazing idea! I may have to wait until the end of March to do this because its been pretty nasty here in MN lately. But I will see what I can do. Thanks for a good idea even if I have to wait until another month to try.
    Depending on your health, you should get out and practice in all environmental conditions. Snow drifts make great target holders if that is what you are getting right now. I've learned more in the last 4 months than I have in years just by shooting in what mother nature provides me.

Ok, I'm not sure what happened here, but it looks like I shot my prone group as well... or worse, than I did my sitting and standing groups!

Here's my sitting position. I gotta admit, I YouTubed "How to shoot in the sitting position" to see if I could get any tips. I used the legs straight but crossed method with my off hand elbow past my knee. I was pretty happy with this group considering how much wobble I was actually getting. All shots inside the middle gray circle:

Somehow, my best group was standing while propped up against the back of a flimsy lawn chair, setting in the icy snow! Again, all inside the outer gray circle:

And here's my prone group, all of the hits weren't inside the inner gray circle though (not sure if touching the line counts...) Used a bipod and rear bag if you can believe it....

While I was happy with my sitting and standing groups, I still don't know how my prone group was so bad. I can't remember the last time I shot a hundred yard, 5 shot group over an inch with this rifle, and this group was over 2 inches!!! I came into this target thinking my prone group was going to be inside the center black circle not the grey one. I thought I needed help with my sitting and standing positions... Looks like I need to work on my prone position even more!!
    ugh...

Shooting a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. (168 gr Amax/44.0gr Varget)
    Last edited by Scratch; 03-27-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    donnie, NorCalFocus and ShtrRdy like this.

Scratch, you beat me to it. I thought I was going to be breaking the ice this month. Here are my targets. Savage model 12, 308 win, 108yds, left standing using tree for rest, middle sitting using backpack for rest, and right prone with rear bag.
    IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7791.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7795.JPG
    It seems my rifle calmed down a little from yesterday, but still kind of off. I used ww super brass with 168 nos bt for the standing, and regular win brass with 168 gr nos cc for the sitting and prone. I didn't have 15 rounds of either left so that's how I split it. All charged with 43.2 gr varget. Good challenge this month Norcal!

Nice shooting guys! I'm super busy with work, but I'm going to try and get out next Friday. I'll be sneaking in just under the wire.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Wow, that's some nice shooting guys. I'll post my meager results. This was done with a .22LR at 50 yds. I had a post to use while standing and shooting stix while sitting.

SniperCentralMarchTargetRimfire.jpeg
    Scratch, donnie and NorCalFocus like this.

:-D
    Used 16" Ar15, prone with bipod, no support for kneeling and standing.

Last edited by :-D; 03-27-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Scratch likes this.

Spending some time with my new Ruger Precision Rimfire I got about 3 weeks ago at a public range. Not many position options at such a range, so did sitting on ground steadying the rifle against table, then a kneeling position steadying the rifle the same way. Was really surprised by the sitting results as I wasn't feeling comfortable at all. Just lucky and if I tried again I doubt I'd get anywhere near that tight a group. Shot from 50 yds.

Ruger Precision RF.jpg

PS: I don't shoot prone anymore as my old body just doesn't let me.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Last edited by straightshooter1; 03-27-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Scratch and donnie like this.

Ads