3 or 5 shot groups?

3 or 5 shot groups?

This is a discussion on 3 or 5 shot groups? within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Was wondering how many of you shoot 3 shot groups and how many shoot 5 shot groups. What is the reason behind your choice? I ...

Poll: 3 or 5 shot groups?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

3 or 5 shot groups?

Was wondering how many of you shoot 3 shot groups and how many shoot 5 shot groups. What is the reason behind your choice?

I was at the range last weekend and shot a 3 shot group that was 1 ragged hole, but I tried to put shots 4 and 5 into that same hole and failed miserably. So my 3 shot group kicked butt and would've been less than .25", but my 5 shot group wasn't so great and would've been slightly less than 1".

This is all @ 100 yds.

Thanks.

I shoot 3 shot groups just cause I use a magnum rifle, thus 3 round magazine. I think the 5 round groups came from the fact that most tactical rifles are .308 thus have a 5 round capacity.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

No perticular reason, but like you said above, my groups like to turn into garbage after three shots, I just get too excited staring at a single hole with three shots thru it. :?

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what you are shooting the group for. For most applications, hunting etc, 3 shots is fine. After all if you are shooting more than 3 shots at a deer you have bigger problems.

5 or even 10 shot groups may be warrented for some types of competition shooting so you know how your rifle performs as the bbl heats up etc.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

i like 5 shot groups to better measure consistancy
    with that being said all my best groups are all 3 shot groups

3 shot

I vote for 3.
    Being in a focus for 3 shot groups is ok but after that u are under other influences that are not connected to the rifle but to you as a shooter. So I believe that 5 shot groups measure more accuracy of the shooter than the accuracy of the rifle itself.
    Overall accuracy (shooter+rifle) = 5 shot
    Rifle accuracy = 3 shot

slip
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee

I actually shoot shoot for groups anymore.

I made the decision awhile ago to shoot from a more tactical perspective.

I shoot for all of my shots to be in the 10 ring at 600 yards. I also place time time limitations on myself forcing myself to hold off for wind and sometimes target movement due to the wind. I'm trying to get some sort of moving target system in place but, the range bosses don't seem to be going for it.

I'm not knocking clover leafs. Just thought I'd put that out there.

-snowy
    "Veritas Lux Mea"

Certified Super Civvie

Administrator
    Is it a money issue snowy? Sure would be nice to have some movers, wouldn't it! I vote for 5 shot groups (at least) because it is a better statistical correlation of what a rifle can really do. Many sporter rifles will shoot under .5 for two shots, but throw one of the three...ever noticed that? Well what makes you think that it doesn't still apply after three? I guess I just feel that if you are going to REALLY claim your rifle is a consistent shooter in the 2's, 3's, whatever....you better be able to do it for more than 3 shots.

Now..I do note that Mike still goes for 3 shots on his test targets, but then...I don't really think the accuracy of his sticks is ever really in question. :shock:
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

NEITHER!

3 and 5 shot groups are absolutely worthless for determining the true accuracy of a weapon!

Ten shot groups are vastly superior on a statistical and scientific level.

I wrote a post on my forum about this awhile ago, including pictures, demonstrating why I say this. Click here to view it.

ETA #1: You'll have to register to view it. Sorry; I did that to combat bots and "snooping." I can always repost the thread here if necessary.

ETA #2: Shooting for groups is stupid anyway. Name a single real life situation where being good at shooting groups is important.

Being able to range a target, adjust your scope, and put the round in a specific spot on the target is all that counts.

Administrator
    Wow. Well yeah recoil, I agree, but they didn't ask me what I thought about 3 vs 5 vs 10...they asked 3 vs 5. 8)

Heck, you wanna get real frisky, you oughta shoot and count rounds until you see accuracy start to drop off. If you're that good.
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads