How Tight

How Tight

This is a discussion on How Tight within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello, All. So I go to install my scope rings for the Arken 4-14x scope I bought, and I am attaching the rings to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How Tight

How Tight

Hello, All.

So I go to install my scope rings for the Arken 4-14x scope I bought, and I am attaching the rings to the base when the base screw snaps off of one of the ring bases. These are Burris Xtreme tactical rings, 30mm, low. I tightened them up pretty good on the picatinny rail on my rifle. Thing is, I'm thinking I over-tightened them and that's why one of the screws snapped. How tight do they need to be? Obviously, they need to be tighter than hand tight. But I don't know how to gauge how tight is tight enough. Any advice please?

Thanks,
    flyntus

Typically scope rails to rifle at 25inlb, rings to rail 25inlb for screws, 65inlb for 1/2" nut, and rings should be 15-18inlbs

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gunguy308. I don't have a torque wrench available to me. And I don't want to purchase one quite yet. (I've already gone way past my budget.) Wish there was some other way to know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flyntus View Post
    Thanks Gunguy308. I don't have a torque wrench available to me. And I don't want to purchase one quite yet. (I've already gone way past my budget.) Wish there was some other way to know.
    25 in/lbs isn't much and I'd say equivalent to a nice firm tightening of a screwdriver. . . just don't put your shoulder into it.
    Gunguy308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flyntus View Post
    I hear ya, but its an indispensable tool. I use my Wheeler FAT wrench (not the digital one) all the time. From mounting scopes to tightening action screws. Its the one tool I'll never go to the range or a match without.
    You can use the short end of the allen wrench to turn the screws, that should limit the torque. If you use the longer end, you risk over torque the fastener

Last edited by Gunguy308; 12-29-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Toight, like a tiger!

The FAT driver is a really great addition to your tool box. You will find out that torques required are significantly lower than you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    Typically scope rails to rifle at 25inlb, rings to rail 25inlb for screws, 65inlb for 1/2" nut, and rings should be 15-18inlbs

Check the specs on all the screws. I have seen them as low as 10 in/lb. 15 in/lb will break a screw that is supposed to be torqued to 10 in/lb.

A good set of torque wrenches is almost a necessity.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Thanks, Everyone. Time to order a FAT wrench from one of the vendors. I appreciate the advice.

+flyntus

Torque wrenches are not all created equal. This is a review I did of a few wrenches.

https://forums.gunhive.com/topic/107...ision-shooting
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I would suggest buying an inch pound torque wrench, the price can be as low as $25.00, you get what you pay for. It will be used on many screws and bolts on your guns. If many, possibly all are not tightened properly your accuracy will fail even with an excellent scope. You will find POI variances which will cause you to doubt your shooting abilities.

Having been an anal mechanic and engineer, (my wife says I still am anal, I prefer precise), I have purchased 2 inch pound, 3 foot pound 3/8 drive and 2 foot pound 1/2 drive, one had a torque multiplier. She is right, I am anal.
    Martino1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads