Range Day

Range Day

This is a discussion on Range Day within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Sorry, no pics. I don't want to display my awful groups. Anyway, I took my Savage 10, .308, 18" barreled rifle to the range today. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Day

Range Day

Sorry, no pics. I don't want to display my awful groups.

Anyway, I took my Savage 10, .308, 18" barreled rifle to the range today. It has an Arken 4-14 scope on it and a procomp muzzle brake. First thing is, Man is it LOUD! I guess it doesn't matter what you put on the end of it by way of brakes, it is gonna be LOUD.

While I didn't notice this during firing, the scope was slipping in the rings due to recoil. I tightened the Burris rings to 20" pounds. When I got home, I could tell the scope slipped through the rings and was off. No wonder I was getting really crazy groups. So today was a bust. I don't know what to do about it as the recommended torque is 20" pounds. I don't want to crush the main tube or put it under too much force, but what do I do?

Thanks to all who read and thanks to those who reply!

Flyntus

Quote Originally Posted by flyntus View Post

Anyway, I took my Savage 10, .308, 18" barreled rifle to the range today. It has an Arken 4-14 scope on it and a procomp muzzle brake. First thing is, Man is it LOUD! I guess it doesn't matter what you put on the end of it by way of brakes, it is gonna be LOUD.
    Yup.

While I didn't notice this during firing, the scope was slipping in the rings due to recoil. I tightened the Burris rings to 20" pounds. When I got home, I could tell the scope slipped through the rings and was off. No wonder I was getting really crazy groups. So today was a bust. I don't know what to do about it as the recommended torque is 20" pounds. I don't want to crush the main tube or put it under too much force, but what do I do?
    The first thing I would do is to take my caliper and measure the scopes tube to be sure it's the size that works for the rings. Am not sure which Burris rings you have, but maybe your rings don't have enough surface area. On my .308 I use the Burris XTR Signature Rings and have tightened them to 16" lbs. and after 1000's of firings, my Vortex scope hasn't moved. If you're using the XRT Signature rings, you might try using a different combination of rings just to see if you still have the problem.

Thanks for the reply and info, straightshooter1! My rings are Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, low. I took the tops off, re-positioned the scope and re-tightened the rings to 20" pounds with my FAT screwdriver. I hope this does the trick. I applied blue loctite on the screws before. This evening, I just cleaned them and torqued them down without any loctite.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Flyntus

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The Arken 4-14x scope has a 30mm tube, and I am using 30mm rings.

The Arken 4-14x scope has a 30mm tube, and I am using 30mm rings.
    Typically, the published specs are right on, but I'm one that likes to see for myself (just to confirm what's being published) for any manufacturer's published specs. And I've found that once in a while, they're not accurate . . . or not as accurate as I thought they should be. The goes for the Burris rings. That's why I said what I'd do if it were me.
    Last edited by straightshooter1; 01-16-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Maybe I should try a linear brake. That, in theory, directs the blast forward. Any suggestions?

The brake I had some time ago was a Witt brake which diverted some of the muzzle blast to the sides and up. I never heard of a linear brake but I got tired of the noise and in an effort to save my hearing, I got a suppressor. It is a PITA to go through the paperwork and the waiting time to get one, but now that I have it, I seldom shoot without it except for one rifle that is not threaded at the muzzle. I got a Thunderbeast Ultra 338 that attaches to their muzzle brake. I bought extra brakes and put them on my other rifles so I could migrate the Hush-a-boom to those rifles. Works great on everything from 6.5CM to 300 NM. The only downside to that brake is that it didn't work well with my big bore AR's. Looking at some Suppressors that are better suited to gas guns at this time. Just my .02

Savage 10

Thanks to all who read and thanks to those who reply!

Flyntus
    My Savage experience was similar and I did the scope re-torque route. I also found the action screws either under torqued or not torqued at all. Do a check and torque them down. I do use Lock-titie blue and my 338LM is now shooting very well. assuming I do my part.

Think seriously about lapping the rings to make sure they are getting 75% contact with the scope. No experience with your particular rings, but it cannot hurt things.

Have read of rifle builders of heavy recoiling big game guns using rosin between rings and scopes to enhance the grip.

As for tightening the scope down, I’ve had a similar problem with a professionally installed scope. Advice was to hand tighten it with an Allen wrench with my hand on the short end. That way, there would be no chance of crushing the tube. I did it and it worked. Took a lot of tightening too. No problems yet, and it’s been over 6 months. Still it’s second hand advice, so take it for what it’s worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads