First trip to the range with Aero Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

This is a discussion on First trip to the range with Aero Precision 6.5 Creedmoor within the Modern Sporting Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; recently completed an "all Aero Precision" 6.5 Creedmoor M-5 (AR10) rifle. I finished off the lower last year and have been waiting for a good ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CalFed

Thread: First trip to the range with Aero Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

recently completed an "all Aero Precision" 6.5 Creedmoor M-5 (AR10) rifle. I finished off the lower last year and have been waiting for a good deal on an Aero Creedmoor upper to finish it off. With careful shopping and a little patience, I'm at $1100 bucks total. I used the 22" complete upper from AP for this build. Magpul MOE stock was used to complete the build.

I was in such a hurry to get to the range, I realized on the way that I had failed to lube the upper and that it was completely dry. I made a quick stop at an auto parts store and bought a quart of Mobil1 motor oil and lubed it when I got to the range...LOL.

I had bought a few boxes of various weight Hornady and Federal 6.5 target ammo. The rifle really seems to like the heavy bullets better than the light ones.

Here are two 100 yard targets...one on the left was shot with 120 gr Hornady ELD's and the one on the right with 147 gr ELD's. The 147's shot about .75 MOA.

Here is a 100 yard target of the 130 gr Berger Federal target ammo, roughly 1.5 MOA

Rifle functioned fine...no pierced primers, cycled well, two failures to stay open on the last shot and one light primer strike. 25 rounds fired.

The trigger that came with the AP lower parts kit wasn't bad, but I like the Rise Armament 140 trigger in my AP 308 M-5. I pulled it out and will give the Creedmoor a try with that trigger.

Your rifle looks goods. I have three on the bench right now, two in 5.6 CM and one 308. All are using Aero uppers and lowers and forends. I will add more on my previvious coment on the last thread that we both spoke on.

Thanks, Canuckienns

I got to the range this afternoon and shot the AP Creedmoor again.

I cleaned and lubed the rifle before I went and had no malfunctions at all...no failures to lock back, no FTF's, no light primer strikes...nothing. I lubed it more carefully this time and maybe that helped.

I'm still only using factory ammo, so I fired some three round groups using Hornady 120, 140, and 147 gr ELD-M, some 140 gr BTHP
    Hornady "American Gunner", and some Federal 130 gr Berger Match ammo.

The groups tightened, in general, from my first trip to the range, except the 147 ELD's, which were larger. Got a real nice group with the Hornady 140 gr BTHP's.

I then made a correction to the scope, a 6.5-20 x 44 Vortex Viper, and tried some 5 round groups.

I was plagued by flyers on most of the groups. I got 4 good rounds and 1 flyer with most of the ammunition.

Hopefully H4350 will become available again someday and I'll be able to handload some ammo.
    Last edited by CalFed; 05-11-2017 at 09:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

My youngest son came up for the holiday weekend and we hit the range. This was my first trip to the range since swapping out the buffer spring for a Tubb flat wire spring. Gun functioned flawlessly and seems to have settled down a bit.

The three square pasters are covering three warm up shots I took with the 140 gr Hornady "American Gunner" ammo. My son and I then took turns shooting three-shot groups using the Hornady 147 gr ELD match ammo. 4 groups, all averaging about .75 MOA.

NorCalFocus likes this.

The center group, shot by my son, was aimed at the center orange dot. The others were fired at the semi triangles at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions at the edge of the black area of the target. Those might not be the ideal thing to be shooting at for minimum group size.

Looks good there. it is very common to throw a shot and blow a nice group. That is the nature of shooting an Ar10. So much happening in a gas gun that it takes very little. Dont ask me how I know.

Thanks, canuckienns.

This may sound odd, but would a better spring, like the Tubb spring that I installed have any effect on accuracy?

Got a chance to get to the 300 yard range and shoot some of my rifles, including the 6.5 Creedmoor Aero Precision.

I had some great luck with the Hornady American Gunner 140gr ammo (almost exactly 2" or about 2/3 MOA)...

Less so with some Sig Sauer target ammo (about 4", or 1.33 MOA)...

Last edited by CalFed; 07-31-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Ads