First AR10 Build

First AR10 Build

This is a discussion on First AR10 Build within the Modern Sporting Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello all, I have recently started to do my research on a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto gun and it seems most recommend building a rifle rather ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By canuckienns

Thread: First AR10 Build

First AR10 Build

Hello all, I have recently started to do my research on a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto gun and it seems most recommend building a rifle rather than a factory gun. I would like to build the most accurate rifle I can and so I don't mind taking my time to learn so I do it right the first time around.

So far I think I prefer Seekins precision or aero precision upper and lower. As far as hand guard goes I like the Seekins because it does not use the barrel nut to mount to the upper. If there are better parts please let me know. One thing I have found and really liked was the side charging handle on the Savage MSR 10 long range. Are there any other uppers that offer a side charging handle like that?

I need to do much more research on gas blocks, barrels, bolts and bolt carriers. Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated. I think I would like to keep the barrel at least 22 inches long maybe 24 unless 22 is enough for longer range shots.

As I mentioned in the title this will be my first build so any help and other articles I could read would be great. I want to learn so I can build the best gun possible.

Thank you.
    Last edited by dbow; 01-18-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Well AR10s are more difficult then AR15s for a first build. Only because not all the parts are standard size. There is several patterns, sizes out there, so you have to make sure your get the right items.

1. Accuracy comes from three parts of the rifle. The barrel, bolt, and trigger. Everything else is kind of just fluff or feel good items.

2. Because there is different patterns for the AR10, I would strongly suggest you buy your lower, upper, and hand guard all from one manufacturer. Aero or Seekins are both solid choices.

3. Side charging handles can be nice but aren't needed. Honestly if your worried about cycling your bolt without breaking cheek weld, get a bolt action. A B.A.D. Lever is a great add to be able to drop the bolt with your trigger finger. That or get an ambi lower that has bolt release on both sides. That's all you really need.

4. Length equals speed. Unless your trying to keep the gun short for a certain reason, go with a 24" barrel. There is a ton of barrel manufacturers out there that make prefit barrels or you can buy a blank and have it cut, chambered by a smith.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Well AR10s are more difficult then AR15s for a first build. Only because not all the parts are standard size. There is several patterns, sizes out there, so you have to make sure your get the right items.

1. Accuracy comes from three parts of the rifle. The barrel, bolt, and trigger. Everything else is kind of just fluff or feel good items.

2. Because there is different patterns for the AR10, I would strongly suggest you buy your lower, upper, and hand guard all from one manufacturer. Aero or Seekins are both solid choices.

3. Side charging handles can be nice but aren't needed. Honestly if your worried about cycling your bolt without breaking cheek weld, get a bolt action. A B.A.D. Lever is a great add to be able to drop the bolt with your trigger finger. That or get an ambi lower that has bolt release on both sides. That's all you really need.

4. Length equals speed. Unless your trying to keep the gun short for a certain reason, go with a 24" barrel. There is a ton of barrel manufacturers out there that make prefit barrels or you can buy a blank and have it cut, chambered by a smith.
    Thank you for the advide. I have read quite a bit about the differnt standards when it comes to AR10s. I plan to pick on brand for the upper and lower just like you recommended.

I think I will get a pre cut barrel and I dont mind it being longer so 24inches is just fine. I have realized there are a lot of manufactures to choose from. Is there a few brands that are known for their accuracy? Is stainless better than carbon fiber?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you want a prefit AR barrel I'd look at White Oak Armament. Krieger, Benchmark, Bartlien all make great barrels. However I don't know if they offer prefit AR barrels. Usually they offer just blanks.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

I will send you a private email message later on. I regularly build high dollar AR10 packages in 308 and 6.5 for friends and customers. I do not want to debate some of the merits, particularly with folks who have not actually done them. We shoot regularly out to 1000yards with these builds.

I'm going to go against the grain here about barrel length for 6.5 creedmoor. An 18" barrel will get heavier 6.5 bullets to be still supersonic at 1000 yards. If you don't plan on shooting past 1000 yards often you probably don't need a 24" barrel.

I build custom Ar10 platform rifles and it has been my experience that short and lighter barrels are NFG for long range shooting. Fine for hunting and shooting tanks. Start at 20 inch and heavier and go up from there. IMHO
    308Impact likes this.

Ads