MARPAT vs ACU vs Multicam vs Anything else

This is a discussion on MARPAT vs ACU vs Multicam vs Anything else within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I though it would be interesting to get everyone’s 2cents on this topic. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about how each of these patterns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I though it would be interesting to get everyone’s 2cents on this topic. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about how each of these patterns work in a variety of environments and which one you would pick. Here is my experience with the MARPAT and ACU's. When I was in the Marines, I assisted in combat training refresher courses for units that were preparing for deployments. During our war games we had a mixture of Marines wearing woodland MARPAT, desert MARPAT and woodland cammies. IMHO the woodland cammies had the largest degree of variance in how well they performed based upon newer pairs seemed to stick out a lot more than the older faided ones. Both MARPAT worked very well in the different terrans of Pendleton but I would lean more towards the woodland MARPAT.
    During my Officer combat training in the National Guard everyone was wearing the ACU's in a mostly forest terrain. It was funny because the ACU design was really easy to spot when we were on patrol for ops forces. I will give the ACU's one credit though, they did perform better than the woodland cammies that some of our instructors were wearing during the MOUT training.
    The new Air Force uniform is a digital tiger strip that seems to take color cues from the Army’s ACU’s. As for Multicam, I’ve never had personal experience with it but would be torn between it and the woodland MARPAT if I had to choose just one camouflage.
    So enough about that, what is everyone’s experience with the different camouflage patterns and how they perform in a variety of environment? Which pattern would you pick: MARPAT, Tiger strip, ACU or something else?

I like the real tree line of camo for its effectiveness. The best one for my ares (as all camos of course are area dependant) would be:

http://www.realtree.com/camo/ap.php

That said i havn't actually bothered to buy any, cos i can get second hand auscam pants for $20 and a shirt for $30 and its good enough

Another issue is, will this be worn during war time or peace time? if there was a war raging i would definitely wear auscam with a camo australian flag(ie with the brown background as compared to the blue one), so as i can be quickly identified as friendly by the good old Aussie infantry (who rarely engage in friendly fire incidents anyway, i am proud to say )

I like CADPAT myself. I've used it in my area and been invisible for all intents and purposes. Sit still next to a tree with brush at it's base with a wrap around scarf and gloves and just look like a bush. Scared the crap out of my hunting partner once... :twisted:
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

CADPAT is good stuff. I see alot of different uniforms from many different countries on a daily basis. Estonia, believe it or not, has a sweet digital camo pattern. it's very effective in the climate I'm in. I still like the old vietnam tigerstripe myself.
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

oh, and the new ABU's... what a joke. living on an air force base seeing herds of people wearing that pastel green color... makes me think of the easter eggs I dyed last spring. I think the pattern is good, but the color choice is a joke. that's just my opinion on it.
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

Quote Originally Posted by DeathStick
    oh, and the new ABU's... what a joke. living on an air force base seeing herds of people wearing that pastel green color... makes me think of the easter eggs I dyed last spring. I think the pattern is good, but the color choice is a joke. that's just my opinion on it.
    Well I agree (I'm wearing them as I type). BUT, you can't knock the ABU color choice without making fun of the ACU. They're the same color, and from a distance, it's hard to tell the difference.

Personally, I have no clue why the branches had to split up and do their own thing. I mean, if the AF was going to use the same color as the Army, why not the same pattern? What did the AF gain by making them with a different pattern? We still use the Army ACU pattern Kevlar and combat gear. For a while they were issuing us some pretty ugly green boots too, but that finally got nixed and we're wearing the deserts.

I do like the digi/stripe pattern, but I think some OD/Dark Earth/Coyote or color choices similar to the USMC MARPAT would have been better,and looked good with the AF digi/stripe. I also like the fact that we don't have to have deserts and bdu's now.

And thank you sweet baby jesus they didn't go with the ugly purple thing with the 8 point Marine looking cap. EEEWWWWW!! And most of the people wearing them when they were going through the trial thing tucked the blouse in too!!!

:shock: :!: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by kipper
    so as i can be quickly identified as friendly by the good old Aussie infantry (who rarely engage in friendly fire incidents anyway, i am proud to say )
    Ouch

The ABU's sure don't make me blend in with the flight-line very well. I think if we'd pave the concrete ramps in a tiger stripe pattern it might do pretty good.

Multicam has no rival in the group. For a basic all around pattern It's simply the most versatile.

If we want to get in to specific terrain, the MARPAT is great for heavily wooded areas, the Desert MARPAT is the best for the desert. UCP (ACU) is great for areas full of sage brush. ABU is just plain ugly. And the Navy's new BDU/s just plain suck, but hey, if I fall in the ocean I'll blend in nicely. :roll:

Oh, and the reason all the services decided they needed their own pattern. If one service gets their own new pattern they all want their own new pattern, and It's not their money, the tax payers are footing the bill, so why not. :roll: :evil: :evil:

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by navyrigger46
    And the Navy's new BDU/s just plain suck, but hey, if I fall in the ocean I'll blend in nicely. :roll:

Rigger
    The Navy got new BDUs?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads